Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bargaining a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JustOpenYourMind, Jan 1, 2003.

1. I Know that a lot of you are bassists since a long time, I'd like to know your tricks to obtain good deals in music shops because I am inexperienced as a buyer.

thanks

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I don't have a lot of experience in shops, because I usually buy used/private party. Some tips are just common sense, though. Some bargaining points are going to depend on whether it is a large chain or mom/pop. Things like how long has it been hanging? If a bass has been on the wall for a year, you can try to lowball it. Also, look for every single flaw, and point them out. Store basses have usually been hammered more than once, and have plenty of 'abrasions'. It doesn't hurt to make a rediculously low offer, knowing that hopefully you can reach a midpoint with the seller. Also, if a store won't budge, or at least come close to your offer, start asking for extras. Case, cables, strap, strings, etc.
    Doc

3. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    I always phone around alot of places and play them off against each other.... phone one place, get a price, phone another get them to price match, then phone another and get them to price match/beat that... and then start asking for extras hehehe ;)

Works for me anyway :D

DC :)