Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Barganing for the best amp price

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cams_Anthem, May 6, 2004.

1. Im in the market for a new amp finally. Thinken of the Hartke 120w 2x12in combo, the SWR LA-15 or the Ampeg BA15. Anyway, ive never actually had to deal with a store for my gear so im not quite sure on how to get the best price out of them. Ive been told as a general rule to expect to get $200-$300 off the rrp. It it possible to get more off? What are some good barganing techniques???

2. Usually, the street price is roughly 70% of the manufacturer's list price. You probably aren't going to do any better than that on what you're looking at buying.

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Look online and get prices from Musician's Friend and some others and print them out. Most stores can't match those prices but they will usually give you a good deal if you have done your research. For instance if I can get it from Musicians Friend for $499, then I can probably get the same thing locally for $549 etc. I then don't have to fool with shipping charges, I can play it before I buy it etc. If I can't get that type of deal then I will order on line, but most of the time I get the deal. Good Luck!

4. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    The previous posts are right on the money- do a little research, understand that bricks and mortar cost money, so the price in store may be a little more. Being able to play a rig before you buy is well worth a little extra, and a place to go with problems is a good thing, too! Best price? Don't even worry about it. Someone will always find a better deal. Get a fair deal, and enjoy playing today!

5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    From my experience, the retailer "Guitar Center" will at least meet if not beat the "Musicians Friend" price (as I believe they are partly affiliated). When I was shopping for my bass amp (an Ampeg BA210 at the time, what was I thinking?), they said that they should already be meeting or beating the MF price because they check up on it, but if I found a lower MF price, then they said to print it out and bring it and they'd do something about it.

Anyway, no matter which retailer, bring the BIG name online print outs (no fly-by-night places) as they will most likely give those sites some weight and knock off some $$$.

My most successful experience with any retailer regarding music gear is to appear interested in something on a whim. Like, if you went in to buy cables or a case or something, while paying for it, ask the dude/dudette what they thought of a specific brand of amp or even model. They usually get excited that you might be spending more money and they'll most likely ask to show you the piece or the line. Now, they are in sell mode and usually are trained to do anything they can to convince you to buy TODAY. That is a MASSIVE difference of bargaining stance for you then if you were to come straight into a store and make them feel as if no matter what price they quote you, you would buy it anyway. The point is, you gotta look interested enough in something WITHOUT looking like you are already a guaranteed sale for them...that you are still deciding and subliminally telling them you need INCENTIVE to purchase (as in lower price or extras thrown in). And don't worry if they don't offer you a good enough deal. Politely say that it is a bit out of your budget and that you would have to save up more money for it. It is usually at that point that they will knock down more money or say "have a nice day". If it's the latter, then you can always come back. But buckling at a price you can't afford or is too much for the piece is nobody's fault but with the consumer.

Disclaimer: I am a true supporter of honest businesses trying to both serve customers while still turning a profit (the only point in being in business). So if you are dealing with a friendly mom-and-pop, small store operation, understand that ripping them off by bargaining down to $0 or negative$ profit brings them that much closer to not even being around to do business with again. Not cool. But would I bargain down to the last penny with mega-music stores that make up their profits in other departments and services? Yes. Those guys get gear at CHEAP prices due to their buying power. Little stores do not. I don't favor either type of store, but I just know who can take occassional hits and who can't. Just my opinion :)

-T

6. he thanks gor the tips. Ive got some mates in retail and they say the best way to deal is to deal staight and not stuff them about. ive heard storied when may mate would say to a customer "ill can do a deal for $800 dollars on this camera" them the customer will whip out his mobile phnoe and ring another store and say "hey im at this shop, they can do $800 can you beat it? IN FRONT OF MY MATE!! you have to have some sort of negotiational ethics about you it think.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    GC will always meet Musician's Friend's prices ... GC owns MF. What you need to do is tell the guy at GC you need to get the MF price out-the-door, in other words, without adding on the tax. They can do this quite easily. In fact, most of what I buy from GC I get at 60 to 65 percent of list. As a general rule, stores pay about 50 percent of list for the products. This is not always true, and brands like Mesa, Mackie, Monster and all other brands that start with "M" (apparently) are tougher to deal on. On the other hand, because GC buys in huge quantities, they have a lot of clout with the manufacturers, and get deals below 50 percent. So, if you spend enough money there over time, and you develop a relationship with a manager, you can get some things around 50 percent of list. Some examples are the Shure Beta 57's I bought for $90 apiece, and the Rode NT-5's for $249. Don't worry about offending them. They're not going to go broke if you get a good deal.

8. +1
    Yes this is true. :D

9. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Guitar Center likes cash. i got $20 off a korg tuner that way and the guy suggested it. It was about, what $79, and i sad that's too much for a tuner. He said cash, you can have it for $60. My friend with me got one too!