1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Baritone guitar..bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iri5h_punk21, May 3, 2010.

1. So I was watching a Thrice live video and noticed that the bassist was using what looked to be a guitar but it had a really nice low end to it.

edwardthewave likes this.
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    It was common in the 60s for bass players to use 30" and 28" scaled instruments. Some with 4 and some with 6 strings. For instance the Beatles would sometimnes use the Fender VI in the studio.

3. soo the scale length is basically what gives it that lower end?

4. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    Wow. That sounds sick! I wouldn't believe it wasn't a bass if I was just listening without watching. The guitar doesn't even look like a baritone, just standard epiphone hollowbody guitar. Doesn't sound like an octave effect or anything either. Cool song too, you might have just made me a Thrice fan. He's got an 8x10 behind him, so maybe it's just a detuned guitar through a bass amp? Either way thanks for posting, I enjoyed it.

5. hahaha, yeah i've been a long time thrice fan, and even though they aren't super technical or anything they always find ways to make me scratch my head.

it looks a lot like a guild or maybe even a gretsch, but i don't think its detuned...i used to detune standard guitars before i made my bari, but neither sound that round or full

6. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    i think the scale length just keeps the string tension high. kind of like why basses are normally 34" and 35" scales; since they're tuned a whole octave below a guitar. it looked like some sort of a long scale epiphone. i didn't get a good look at it though, so it might have just had an octave pedal.

good to see a fellow thrice fan around! and i don't want to say that dustin is half the reason i built a warmoth telecaster deluxe, but he IS playing a warmoth tele deluxe in that video :D

7. hahaha, yeah with the line 6 variax guts. they're the reason i made my bari. not a tele, but a strat with a warmoth neck. still nice ; ]

8. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    PM me if you don't want to bring your entire thread off topic... but i'm really debating on making my squier 51 into a baritone with a warmoth neck. how do you like it? i'm a guitar player who's getting into playing bass, so i'm not sure if i'll really be able to make full use out of it. anyway, i'd like to hear what your experiences on them are if you don't mind

9. There are short-scale six-string basses (30" scale) that can be used as baritones, as well as dedicated baritone guitars (usually 27-28" scale). A lot of the sound depends on the amp (and effects, if any) that you play through, as well as plucking technique, string gauge, etc. If I plug a regular guitar through my bass rig and just play the low notes on the low E string using the neck pickup, it sounds very bass-like. If I play one of my basses through a guitar amp and play higher notes on the thinner strings plucking near the bridge, it sounds like a beefy guitar.

Many people have converted regular guitars into baritones or bass-VI-type instruments by swapping out the neck and moving the bridge back if necessary, and using correct strings.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That appears to be normal scale length guitar which to me means - processing ... Artfully done processing at that. I'd never heard of these guys so now I gotto go get me some. I have a baritone Danelectro and even strung with bass strings it won't do anything like that... My guess is that he's running into a laptop using SVX or Amplitude, etc ...

I noticed that some of the folks comments mention that this was a lame version due to the 'lack of energy'. I dug it because it was so well recorded and the groove was spot on. So based on that comment - is there any particular cd I should look for - more hi-fi than lo-fi. lo-fi doesn't thrill me a bit ...

To JaySwear ...Baritone experience -

A standard baritone, like my Dano is generally tuned a 5th down from standard guitar. So the chord form that you normally associate with the E (Open E, B @ 2nd fret A string, E @ 2nd fret D string) is now a B. The A that you play by barring the DG&B strings @ the 32nd fret is now an E and the open D that you play at the second fret is now an A.

It's an interesting texture. You can carry a bass line with it but it isn't all that much lower. I do that under acoustic guitar and use hybrid picking to get a semblance of a bass line going under some double stops or triads. It isn't a 'real' bass by any means but it is an interesting texture...

I really prefer playing it as a guitar that will go deep, a little grindy (very little grindy if you're into Thrice I imagine - I'm more into alt-country/Americana/Roots/Y'all-ternative) being able to drop way, down low in a the middle of a normally voiced solo is a pretty cool effect... country, Tele style bass run's take on a whole new authority...

Last I knew Guitar Center was selling the solid body Danelectro's for something like $350. Before you hack a guitar up, try one of those and see if it floats your boat. If you can find one of the 1998-2000 hollow body dano's (single cutaway, 2 lip stick pickups) - just buy it - thank me L8R ! They've been selling up to $450 but are kind of off the radar so you can CL 'em for $300 if you look and get lucky ... there is a 'coolness factor' and a twang to the hollow body that the solid body lacks. the dolid body is going to be way, way better at high volumes and it will do the sludge grind thing better I would imagine ...

11. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    thank you, sir! i think a baritone will definitely be in my future. just seems perfect. as a side note, what gauge strings would you use for those?

and if you're looking into thrice, you might also want to check out Dustin Kensrue. he's their singer and has released a folk/country album on his own. one of my favorite cds of all time i believe!

12. I have a baritone that i put together myself. Processing makes sense, I suppose...was kinda hoping i'd find a way to get that low tone standalone with the instrument/amp.

If you like these guys, looking at your tastes I'd suggest their new album "Beggars"

13. Well I have these in mine right now:
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend....t-Baritone-Electric-Guitar-Strings?sku=104359

They're OK, I' trying to track something with the bottom string that goes into the 70s/80s

And yeah Dustin's album is kickass. He got me into Folk =p