Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Baritone guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Komakino, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Does anyone know anything about baritone guitars? Like manufacturers and what sort of range the instrument covers compared to bass?

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i believe there are some that are tuned a fourth or fifth lower than standard guitar, and some that are an octave lower, which (i think) is like a six string bass with a high 'e' instead of a low 'b.'

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Danelectro makes at lease one baritone guitar. Warmoth makes baritone guitar necks, so you could just put a baritone neck on a standard guitar.

4. ESP makes some that look really really cool. Them and the Danelectro would probably be the cheapest, and a company called WB makes some bari necks and they're on www.stewmac.com but if i were you i'd go for the whole guitar it'd seem like you'd save some money.:)

5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Isn't it just a guitar with a 27" scale and tuned down an octave or so?

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    rob allen makes a sweet baritone guitar.

i believe the Fender VI Bass was considered a baritone guitar.

and yes, its guitar tuning, down one octave.

fred

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    not all baritone guitars are tuned an octave down

Mike Mushok from Staind uses an Ibanez Artist baritone guitar tuned Ab Db Ab Db Gb Bb. he uses a .75 gauge bass string for the low Ab.

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    oh yeah and the reason why baritone guitars go down to A and not low E is because the baritone range starts at low A

for example, if you were a singer with a baritone vocal range your voice would go down to around low A.

9. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    okee...i stand corrected.

the BG's i've seen have all been tuned an octave down from a guitar.

but, like any stringed instrument...you can tune it nearly any way you like.

i'm curious if there is a "default" tuning for BG's.

f

10. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    well blow me down...here's some type from the danelectro site:

Single cutaway Baritone: With a longer than standard scale length(28"), the Baritone is a perfect compliment to traditional guitar. Normally tuned a 5th below standard, this instrument lends itself to creative playing over an extended range without sacrificing playability. With two unwound strings on the high end, players can bend strings or play chords as normal...get creative!With a longer than standard scale length(28"), the Baritone is a perfect compliment to traditional guitar. Normally tuned a 5th below standard, this instrument lends itself to creative playing over an extended range without sacrificing playability. With two unwound strings on the high end, players can bend strings or play chords as normal...get creative!

here's something from another site:

The Veillette MK IV Baritone 12-String

Despite the fact the guitar is tuned two and a half steps below a normal guitar, each string had twangy definition.

and another:

PLACEBO BARITONE GUITAR TABLATURE

KITSCH OBJECT

TABBED BY SCOTT ANDREWS

TUNING (F# A# D# G# C C)

here's the A version:

Jerry Jones Baritone Guitar

As it's a baritone, the open notes are (going up) A,E,C,G,D,A.

lastly:

The Bob Brozman Baritone model is the ultimate guitar for blues, Hawaiian slack-key, world guitar styles, and any kind of open tuning fingerstyle music.

sky's the limit i see.

fred