Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Baritone Guitars

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Impulsee, Apr 23, 2003.

1. My bass teacher has a baritone guitar, and i think im gonna buy it. He only wants 100$ for it. Its a dan electro. Its awesome. I dont have an actual guitar, but i dont mind it that way. I have a bass, and i might get this baritone. what do you guys think??~?? My friend wants to start a band where he plays drums, his GF plays bass, and i play guitar. But i dont know that much on guitar or anything. How cool would a band of just bass, drums, and a baritone guitar. LOL, anyhoo, what do you guys think about them??~??

- w00t

2. Hmmm...*thinks*...you guys could cover songs by The Cure, for example Primary ! :D

But seriously, Robert Smith plays a baritone guitar (a Fender VI in this case) very often, and it's become an essential element of the band's sound. It's the same with New Order. :)

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Go for it! Whatever makes your sound a bit different from the rest is cool!

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Never heard of a baritone guitar! What is it? A normal guitar down an octave?

BTW, Music related ----> Misc.

5. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Depends on who you ask. I think the Dano baritones are really just six-string basses (like the Fender Bass 6), tuned like a guitar but one octave lower.

Others made them in different tunings.

Back in the earlier 80s, custom builder Veillette-Citron made a baritone that was pitched between a bass and a guitar -- can't remember the exact tuning.

Very interesting sound, but definitely NOT a bass. I heard Jorma Kaukonen (guitarist for Hot Tuna) use one to good effect.

6. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I believe it's a guitar tuned an octave down...The Danelectros have a longer neck to compensate...I think my dad's is a 30" scale...They're fun to play, though.

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Over to Misc

8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Most of the baritones I've seen are tuned like the heaviest 6 strings of a 7-string guitar (B-B) and have a longer scale than regular guitar, but not as big as 30" (usually 27"). Also, my dad has a resonator baritone with 4 strings, and is tuned E-G, in the guitar range.

I think baritone can fill any space between guitar and bass (though, in the case of the Fender VIs, that just seems like a 6-string bass to me, with smaller spacing. I know how it's tuned, but there are folks who tune their 6-string basses like that). I don't really see the point, since guitar and bass ranges already overlap. But, hey. If it gets bass players playing more chords, I'm all for it.

Examples of the kind I described in the first paragraph: Schecter, ESP/ltd. I think Ibanez makes a four-string baritone, which Wes Borland used on some LB stuff ("Nookie" - there's a reason to get one! ;) )

9. this is the baritone im buying. mine is black witha while pickgard. or wait..maby the pickgard is clear..i dont remember. anyhoo, heres a pic of a red one. go to www.danelectro.com and click on baritone and you can hear samples. or download the song "Bbtone" by Pinback. Great song, baritone guitars.

- w00t

10. The "correct" tuning for a baritone guitar is A-A, but the fender VI one of the danelectros and the MM Silhouette bass are all "bass guitars" tuned E-E but there are tons of different tunings that are called baritone