Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Baritone Slide Guitar

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Arch Giddle, May 28, 2002.

1. Not really a bass building question, I'm afraid, but it nearly is

I'm thinking of building a simple slide guitar out of a mahogany plank and some guitar bits. As I'm a bass player, I'd prefer it to be pitched lower than a standard guitar (as I'll probably be amplifying through a bass rig). I was thinking something in the region of a low A or B as the bottom string (ie Baritone guitar or slightly lower). Portability is going to be a major consideration, so what do think the shortest reasonable scale length i can get away with is?

I am planning on using fairly heavy guitar strings (.012's maybe), but am open to suggestions. I'd appreciate your opinions.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im not positive, but I plan on using a 30" scale on mine when I build it.

I think the main factor is what kind of sound you want, and what you are comfortable with.

I plan on making it an instrument that I can play basslines on, but then play power chords, and some lead for a guitar ish sound. I find that on most basses chording can sound fairly muddy compared to the brighter sound I would prefer, and a combination shorter scale and smaller strings should solve this. At the same time I want a suitable bass guitar, so I will use large strings on the bass side, and the 30" scale should be ok (thats a common short scale size).

I will also be installing both a bass and guitar pickup system and a footswitchable selection between the two.

Ok im done rambling. The point is, it should fit your vision and what you are hoping for.

Some more info should help; what settings are you using this for?

Peace
    Nick

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I could be wrong, because it's been a few years since I saw it, but I think the guitar player from the band Local H put a P-Bass pickup in his Strat, and ran that out to a bass amp. The band didnt have a bassist at the time, so he was able to play basic root-note stuff while playing guitar at the same time.

4. I am planning to use the thing possibly for a bit of recording and maybe light gig usage, but mainly it will be something to take with me on holiday and things when I have to leave conventional instruments behind due to damage they might sustain in transit (i don't have a flight case!).

Now that I've thought a bit, standard guitar pitch sounds okay through a bass amp doesn't it? I was planning on using a single (guitar) humbucker with a coil split for electronics.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sounds cool, but what style music? I think that can be a big factor.

Peace
    Nick