Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Baritone ukulele?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by byrdsfan, Mar 15, 2005.

1. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Can a baritone ukulele be tuned like a bass? Im looking for a cheap, small light instrument to have handy on the road. I didnt dig carrying my bass through the airports, especially since the gig i was supposed to practice for was cancelled even before i took off!
    Base-ically i just need something to to practice parts and chnages.

2. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    A lot of interest in this post!
    OK i figured out the the answer to my question. The baritone uke is tuned like a guitar's four skinny strings: D G B E. IT should be easy to tune it so, although it wouldnt start with an E, all the strings would correspond as it were tuned like a bass guitar. Since im just messing with the thing by myself, it doesn matter what key it's in.
    Only $19 at MF.

3. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Hi Mr Fan,
    This is an interesting idea which may work out quite well. I'm not sure if it would work to substitute for a bass, but it's a great idea for making music while travelling. I'll buy one soon (found one with decent tuners, if my understanding of German is correct) and may report back on whether I find it useful/enjoyable.

(also bumping this thread because some automatic message showed up above asking why I haven't posted in some weeks. I tend to be more of a lurker myself. Intriguing policy.)

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Since this isn't about a bass, I am moving it to Miscellaneous. Where, coincidentally, we have had ukulele threads in the past. You might even try a search.:bassist:

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow. Didn't realize this was a year old.

6. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    I love my bari uke but I keep it in conventional tuning and have no plans on switching the tuning to a bass its a nifty instrument to pick up. Futhermore enhancing of the power to the four strings (ignore that one J.T). The bari uke is definately a higher pitch than bass and I believe one octive above guitar and making basslines sound frail.

7. Actually, it's tuned the same as a guitar's four highest strings.