Barker With Effects?

Discussion in 'Barker Bass Forum' started by Scwwitt, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Scwwitt

Nov 2, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Curious if anybody has experimented with a barker bass with effects attached to it. how does it sounds?
  2. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    The granddaddy of effects through a Barker Bass is Gregory Campbell the Extended Range Bassist. I only wish Guiness Book of World Records had been there that night. Today I tried to reach him by email to ask him to respond to this question, but got it kicked back. Anybody have a better email addy for him?

Lee Barker
  3. Scwwitt

Nov 2, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    thanks for trying hopefully the sounds will come pouring soon! :bassist:
  4. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    The ONLY thing that sucks about Barker basses is that there is not one living permanently in my house!

LEE, you should get my email address soon as I just found this AFTER I entered to win the bass from your site!

But you know....

You should have....

Given away a cherry or walnut fretless single cut BARKER 5

Folks I was kind of skeptical about the concept behind barker basses until I got to play one! Not that I didn’t like them... I just though it would serve no purpose for me

I though why would "I" hook a standard j bass to a stand?

I CRAVE the things now!

I played a fretless barker with Labella tape wounds through roughly 13 effects pedals all at once

The bass was SO awesome through effects especially my EBS envelope filter

I no longer own my EBS pedals and am now an endorsee for DIGITECH and WISH... only WISH I could have a few days alone with a Barker and all my new digitech stuff!

I currently have no upright as I recently sold my ERGO 5

and am planning to offer to mow Lee's lawn for a few years straight so that I can have a maple, alder, cherry, or walnut fretless single cut BARKER 5 string with a serial number divisible by the number 9 preferable the number 9! :hyper:

if you are asking about the Barker through effects just the inquiry alone means you NEED to own one!

and if you hate it...

I’ll mow your lawn too!

ok, now I got to get off a here before I eBay one of my kids!
  5. Scwwitt

Nov 2, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    hmm ok sweet! I could only imagine that hey would sound incredible with effects, I justwanted to know if anyone had tried it. thanks for the help!!!
  6. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    Scwwitt, I tried long ago to get Lee to "loan" me a bass to record a bunch of samples with...

But at the time he did not take me up on it...

(You know what you should have done lee?)

I often cause Lee great a great deal of stress with my suggestions and needs for things with the number 9.

(I wanted serial number 9 but the bass itself didn't have the specs I would choose as far as wood types etc...)

(Now I will want serial number 9 as a five string fretless single cut, but I am sure it’s gone and it probably wasn’t the woods I would choose anyway)

Ok, back to reality...

I am using much different effects at this time...

And have started talking to Lee about ways I may be able to get into my own Barker bass so that I can do this ASAP...

But hopefully you get one and learn first hand before I can pull it off!

Best of luck to you!
  7. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I cannot speak to using a Barker with effects processors, but I would like to put a word in for the LR Baggs ParaAcoustic DI preamp.

It has become my absolute favorite preamp for any acoustic guitar or anyone using an ABG. It seems to impart a wonderful, 'woody' characteristic to the instrument.
  8. ariwax

ariwax Insonating the acoustic window Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    My fretless 4 with a little presence tweaking through a SansAmp Bass DI is a good foundation, I have found. Something I really like is the Barker behind my Dunlop Bass Wah, the white one. Gives me goosebumps.

Something I always wanted to try was the fretless 5 through an Akai Deep Impact. Unfortunately I sold my Akai to another TBer some time ago, so I don't think I'll be able to hear that combo anytime soon.