1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Barnaby Extensions

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Cory Palmer, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Does anybody know how much Barnaby extensions are worth? I have one with the spring mechanisms enclosed and it is still in great condition.

2. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    480 British pounds translates into $954 Canadian or $945 US.

I had one of these on a former bass and they are great. Much quicker and quieter than a Stenholm. Plus the finger levers are in note order rather than backwards like the Stenholm (ie. pinky plays the E, ring finger plays the Eb, middle - D, first - Db). Also, the Stenholm is $1095 through Lemur Music.

You can set the levers to different heights so you can tell what note you are about to play by feel and you can set the E a bit higher so it doesn't get in the way when it is latched shut. The latch is operated by the thumb and can be flipped open in a flash. On the Stenholm, there is a notch with a steel bit held by friction under the E lever. To open the extension, you must first push down the E a little bit first before playing a lower note. And there is always an audible clunk when you do it.

Each capo finger can be adjusted for height and tuning and you can adjust the tuning of the low-C. I occasionally used an elastic from a broccoli bunch to hold down the low-D if I was doing a Baroque concert that had no lower notes.

They are a bit heavy but that will only boost your volume (no bassist wants that, now do we?). And people will ask, "why there is a piccolo attached to your scroll?" (I usually pointed to it if they asked, "Don't you wish you played flute?").

Keep the little chunk of nut the luthier will cut off to install it as you'll want to keep the extension to take to your next bass! I can tell you I really miss mine.

This is now my solution for lower notes: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245239&highlight=alternate