1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Barney Miller

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassfart, May 4, 2010.

1. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    Does anyone know who the bass player was that played the theme to the Barney miller show.

2. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    From Wikipedia:

Opening theme

The distinctive opening notes of the theme song’s bass line, performed by studio musician Jim Hughart,[1] are played over a shot of the New York skyline (with a garbage barge being towed in the foreground, from Season Two on) followed by shots of the characters. Several slightly different versions of the theme song featuring minor variations in the song’s composition and performance were used during different seasons. The closing credits featured a different shot of the skyline.

The opening theme music was composed by Jack Elliot and Allyn Ferguson.

3. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
  4. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I have it in my ipod. I found it on itunes. It may have been re-recorded. there were tones of TV theme songs there to download. I think BM was the first or second bassline I learned to play back in the day.

5. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    That theme and "Sanford & Son" were two pretty good bass lines from tv in the '70s!

6. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    Our high school jazz band played the Barney Miller theme song one year(1979?), and used it as the audition piece. There were some good theme songs to play in the 70s. Our marching band played 5 or 6 each year along with every fight song there was. The themes were real crowd pleasers during game breaks and halftime shows.