Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Baroque bass bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Stradosfella, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Howdy, I play with the youth orchestra here and I'm auditioning for the early music group in town. They all play with baroque instruments. I took up my teachers violone, but I need a bow. Is there a diffrent bow hold and such for baroque bows, and if there is, is there a whole other study too the bow like a french or german bow
    thanks,
    peter

2. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
  3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Nice resource, CB, on technique fundamentals. Thanks for sharing the link.

4. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    I don't know if you call it a "baroque" bow, but the viol bows are held similar in style to a german bow, except, among other things, some of your fingers are on the hair and your fingers actual add or decrease tension on the hair to get a certain sound. I started taking bass viol da gamba lessons last year. Love those frets!!

Brian

The other odd ball thing is you begin with an up bow, rather than a down bow. The viola da gamba society of America is a good resource.

Brian

5. bassgurl

bassgurl

Dec 2, 2004
    ok i got a double bass for christmas and i obviously got a bow to go with it. now i am new to bows and if the bow doesn't attatch to the bass and doesn't produce sound, does that mean i need rosin because i don't have any at the moment and i was wondering if i should buy it. and if not, what's wrong?

well whoever replies i thank you and if you have more advice, i am very thankful :D

6. You're off the subject; see the adjacent thread titled "Rosin!?"

7. Regarding this thread, is this the point where someone says "If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it."?
    Apologies to all.

8. :eek:

9. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Check out earlybass.com and greatbassviol.com - good sites with lots of info on violone and other early bass instruments.

10. jmears

jmears

Jan 26, 2007
    Oxford
    A good place to get a baroque bass bow is Roger Doe. He makes beautiful bows that actually work, at reasonable prices.

Roger Doe bowmaker

John

11. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
  12. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    You beat me to it. He is amazing!

13. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    :p It's okay, your an electric player... I am slowly catching on to the electric spectrum so I understand. Get yourself some good rosin (stick to kolstein, pops, oak or carlsons) and a couple of lessons...

Sorry for imposing on the forum you guys... If I had an excuse to get a boroque bow, I would... Let us know how the adjustment from modern to traditional instrument goes.

14. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
  15. sadmemories20

sadmemories20

Mar 31, 2011
    Nice resource, CB, on technique fundamentals. Thanks for sharing the link.

16. kane612

kane612

Feb 12, 2011
    mn
    Ignat Ibragimov is my new hero

everything i was always missing from bass soloists. i appreciate meyer, karr, vincent pasquier, i love old koussevitzky recordings, ........ but this guy, excellent.

This may be an absurd question, or an oxymoron i suppose, but has anyone even entertained the idea of a carbon fiber baroque bow?

If anyone has a baroque bow they would sell for cheap, send me a message. I'm interested in all varieties.

17. FeelHipPool

FeelHipPool

Mar 3, 2013
  18. Any word on how that baroque bow worked out? I have absolutely no reason to get one, but I am always curious to see how these budget makers' stock turns out... That one is listed at 100g though, much heavier than the Doe bows generally seemed to be, or the ones on the website near the top of the thread; I wonder if that's unusual or within the standard range of variation.

19. I'm also curious, as I used to work with a number of period instrument ensembles and am looking for a Baroque or Classical bow to start doing so again.

How did the ebay bow works out for you, FreeHipPool?

20. benharrisfan

benharrisfan Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Baroque and classical bows on ebay are almost never real copies of historical bows (and sometimes it gets pretty comical), nor do they tend to work well. However this maker is pretty good: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strong-Bala...516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec8e165f4 They're extremely light and not very sturdy, but I think they do the job and don't cost much. Plus the curve is correct.

A place to start with good historical bow makers: Roger Doe in Kent, Scott Wallace in Vienna, and H.F. Grabenstein in Vermont.