1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Baroque Music?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Dommiedj, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Dommiedj

Dommiedj

Nov 8, 2015
    Hello, for several auditions coming up for me, I am required to perform a composition written in the Baroque period. While practicing the classic Bach suites, I realized that I have limited knowledge about any sort of Baroque music for the DB. Does anyone have any music suggestions for me, outside of Bachs suites?

2. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I like Buxtehude--who was an early BAroque period composer, but I don't know if I can suggest anything to fit your criteria--but I do like his work.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  4. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    The only "double bass" baroque pieces you'll find are written for the violone.

You'll most likely end up playing cello pieces (Bach cello suites, Vivaldi cello suites), low-brass pieces (Marcello Suites), or viola da gamba pieces (Bach Viola da gamba 3 sonatas).

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well that's kind of Planayavsky's take, that the violone parts should have gone to the double bass rather than the cello....

6. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Eccles?

mtto likes this.
  7. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    There's a Zimmerman book with several Baroque solos. The Pink Book of solos has a Vivaldi Violin Sonata arranged for bass, too. There are lots of other good pieces in there, too.

8. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    +1. I'd forgotten about that book. (Why is there a cello on the cover?) It's a nice thing to pull out for casual reading when a pianist is over. Also now with optional accompaniment CD!

51mnKHeQ4wL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

9. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    The Vivaldi solo is actually the Violin Concerto in A minor.

Eccles was originally for violin, but it is also very fun to play on bass!

10. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    There a huge body of literature from the Baroque for cello. HUGE, I tell you. I would explore IMSLP. If I have to ever hear a bassist play the Eccles G minor sonata again, I may scream.

11. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    +1. There must be 10,000 baroque solo works which would work well on bass. Any decent university library probably has 500. Still, the Eccles is a nice piece.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020