1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

barrel jack noise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funnyfingers, Oct 16, 2013.

  1. funnyfingers


    Nov 27, 2005
    I have to pull the cord up through my strap just to ensure that the little bit of wiggle doesn't lose contact and create the popping noises. The contact seems good when pressured up or down. Are these servicable?
  2. jumblemind

    jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

    Aug 27, 2011
    Yes. Although it's more likely the wire connection to the jack rather than the jack itself, and it might not even necessarily be there. I've had similar issues when a solder joint on one of the pots broke, and putting pressure through the jack was enough to make the wire touch again since it's all connected physically. Either way, you just need to pop off the pickguard/control plate and take a look inside for any loose connections as a first step. There's also the possibility of the cord itself being the problem, as those tend to fail more often than the bass wiring.
  3. funnyfingers


    Nov 27, 2005
    My right angle cord works great since it puts the pressure, but 2 other straight cables do this. The wiring inside seems fine and that internal pressure with the straight cables can be up or down.
  4. jumblemind

    jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

    Aug 27, 2011
    I would look at the wiring again, even closer. Sometimes it takes several times to finally see that something is actually not touching, touching where it shouldn't or has broken loose. (It's kind of like trying to debug code where it takes days to realize you have a comma instead of a semi-colon in line 1438.)

    You could also simply replace the jack and see if that fixes your issue. It's the easiest and cheapest component to swap.
  5. ctmullins

    ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Been there.... :meh:

    Actually this all depends on whether you have one of these:


    or one of these:


    The former are typically called "panel jacks", if I recall, and are easily serviceable and easily swapped. The latter, not so much.
  6. bassbenj


    Aug 11, 2009
    The latter (barrel jacks) unfortunately also NEED to be swapped much more often than panel jacks because they tend to get loose and intermittent in relatively short times and there is nothing you can bend to make even a temporary fix.

    Just have to live with it. And unlike panel jacks where switchcraft brand seems to last very much longer than others (especially longer than cheap import jacks) for barrel jacks there seems to be no brands that are better than any others. All of them seem to loose contact tension after a certain amount of use.
  7. funnyfingers


    Nov 27, 2005
    How does the electrosocket replace a barrel jack. I can't get any good pics to see how it works.
  8. To the OP,

    I have found that a Planet Waves cable with the leaf spring things on the 1/4" plug ends has corrected a formerly loose/sloppy jack on more than one bass and/or amp over the years.

    If the jack itself is indeed just a sloppy fit, this might be your easiest fix. However, if the issue is related to the tang that contacts the tip of the plug, or other wiring problems, then maybe not so much.

    Of course, other methods will also fix it.

    All the best,

  9. jumblemind

    jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

    Aug 27, 2011
    Ah, interesting. I just bought my first bass with this barrel style jack on the end. I haven't swapped it since I have tons of switchcrafts laying around but none of these, and I have already had a problem with one of the ground connections breaking loose. It seems there are two ground tangs and the ground wire has to be connected to both.
  10. Crater


    Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    It doesn't really replace a barrel jack. It's intended as a replacement for Fender Telecaster guitars. The stock jack mount is a metal cup that's recessed into a large cavity, a standard panel jack, and a flat metal retainer washer that's squeezed when the jack is tightened down, and that causes some prongs on the washer to dig in to the guitar body and hold the whole mess in place. It doesn't work perfectly.

    The electrosocket replaces that stamped metal cup with machined aluminum puck. The hole is threaded so the panel jack threads right in. I use another nut behind the electrosocket to act as a jam nut and keep the thing from rotating. The electrosocket is then held in with a couple of wood screws at an angle. I have one on my Tele and it works great.

    Remember though that Telecasters are slab sided, most modern basses have rounded sides and thinner bodies that may not work with the electrocsocket. The electrosocket takes a much bigger hole (7/8") than a barrel jack (1/2").

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.