1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Barrel output jacks

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JazzCrazy, Dec 3, 2018.

1. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    Any affordable recommendations? I don't want to overpay. My Squier DJAV has a barrel jack, & because of nagging hum issues I must consider replacing everything including the jack. My luthier claims that barrel jacks are notorious for failing. (Right now I can access the electronics cavity & put my hand near the jack & hear the buzz get louder ). Once I replace the jack I want it to last.

2. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    I've had a Switchcraft barrel jack in my bass since 1988; use an accompanying Switchcraft (280) or Neutrik (NP2C) plug, and you won't have any problems.

3. There two reasons barrel jacks are prone to failure. Firstly, their contacts are smaller and more flimsy than regular jacks. And secondly, they are installed on the side of your bass and are prone to being bumped and knocked. I also often see guitars in stands or on the floor, resting on the jack.

I agree with your luthier. Use good quality switchcraft barrel jacks. I'd also go further and say its important to buy them from a reputable guitar parts retailer. Just like everything these days, there are fakes on the market. You have been warned! :thumbsup:

Kikegg likes this.
  4. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    Yeah, there's an inert (dummy) pot where the dual concetric stacked pots of the OBP-2 formerly werre, at the bottom of the front array of 4 pots. (Won't ever again use an onboard preamp with a fretless bass). I might use that vacant space for a standard front jack even though it's asteatically less satisfactory

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    96tbird, BlueTalon and bigtone23 like this.
  6. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    +1 on replacing with a regular jack and electrosocket or other jack plate. It does require drilling, but once done, it's more foolproof and cheaper and easier to fix down the road (if need be).

BlueTalon likes this.
  7. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    I just sent away for a Switchcraft barrel jack, but I can't specifically find a jack plate made for a barrel jack. I have seen standard jack electrosocket telecaster plates, but I have no idea what's compatible with the Switchcraft barrel jack I ordered. (Looks like I'm replacing EVERYTHING: jack & plate, pots & maybe even pickups just fix a hum/buzz problem that defies logic & common sence.)

8. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Barrel jacks are a pain in the hoop to install and work on, and once they're dead they're done. A cheap one will die quicker.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Pretty much the whole point of using a jack plate is to avoid having to use a barrel jack. Yel_wink.

This thread is very timely, as I have new bass incoming and I'm currently contemplating how I want to do the output jack on it.

96tbird, spiritbass and Jeff Scott like this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I have had nothing but trouble, eventually, with any bass that had a barrel jack, even Switchcraft ones. I had sent one of my Zon basses back to Joe to do some mods to it years ago and requested an Electrosocket and real :D 1/4" jack be added. So much better. :)

96tbird and Axstar like this.
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I'd never seen the Electrosocket until last night. I'm going to buy a couple and give them to my luthier friend even if I go some other way. I'm seriously contemplating an Alembic style 5 pin XLR format. Barrel jacks are the pits in my book!

12. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Jack plates are for open frame jacks, like the Switchcraft model 11 (TS) or 12B (TRS). The Electrosocket cup is also already threaded for a Switchcraft jack, how cool is that?
    Switchcraft 152B barrel jacks already have the necessary lip on them to install in an instrument and need no plate. They sometimes have a rubber or plastic washer to snug them up and slightly reduce the exposed length in the cavity.
    Since you already have a new Switchcraft barrel jack on the way, you are set for a while.

13. It is very common for the bass techs of big touring acts to replace barrel jacks with jack plates and regular open type switchcraft jacks before tours as a matter of course. The techs I worked with in the US just called it a "football jack", referring to the oval shape of the jack plate.

14. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    If you use Switchcraft 280 or Neutrik NP2C the Switchcraft barrel jack will last a long, long time. It's cheap ass non-standard off shore plugs that damage the jacks.

15. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    Well I bought a Switchcraft barrel jack on eBay from an American vendor who guarantees it's a real Switchcraft, but none listed say its a 280.

16. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    280 is the male plug for the cable end. The point I was trying to make is if you use good quality male plugs, the female jack will last for years.

17. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Well, that certainly doesn't match my real world experience.

18. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    Extending my cable life is less a prioity as fixing these gratuitous buzzes or hums thst plague both my basses. It's as if they're haunted, & by replacing the ouput jack it's not confirmed that the existing output jack is bad--it's a prophylactic measure. I suspect this bad buzz karma will persist interminably. (People, please don't suggest I go with "noiseless" jazz pickups. If I wanted side by side split coil pickups I'd just get a damn P bass. Single coil pickups shouldn't hum this bad with both turned up equally all the way)

My cables are those Musician's Friend/Guitar Center (Live Wire ?) "Lifetime guarantee" cables. Unfortunately I'm starting to have buyer's remorse. Aesthetically I never liked a straight angle plug protruding from the bass as if it has a hard on. But by going with a right angle cable plug & a regular bass input jack, I could've more effectively dealt with the issue practically & aesthetically.

Jeff Scott'right. When resting on a stand, the cable & jack are in a vulnerable state & inviting disaster!

19. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Have you tried flipping the phase on one of the pickups?

20. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    Yes. We've tried EVERYTHING on both basses. The recently installed 250K blend pot doesnt have an MN taper, so the two pickups dont sum together. That's why we tried fooling around with the polarty. Next time I drive the bass down, it will be with a 250k bourne MN taper pot & one, possibky two teal Fender, American Series 5 string pickups--though I suspect they might sound too scooped for a fretless. Who knows? See my edited post above on the particular Squier