Barrel type jack installation tool

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jesterbass, Jun 25, 2019.

  1. jesterbass


    Apr 20, 2007
    Hello TBers,

    as most of you know, replacing a barrel type output jack can be a PITA because it needs to be tightened of course, and usually a normal wrench has trouble reaching its nut. Are you aware of a specific tool for this job? Something like an angled wrench that can do it? Any links would be greatly appreciated, also whatever tips and tricks you may have for the procedure. Many thanks!
  2. A 9/16” (or whatever size you need) combination wrench from the hardware store or pawn shop and a few minutes with the bench grinder will get you this. Works great so far.

    9A015F6B-AAB7-4413-B263-CC50395868CB.jpeg 8588F03D-E4A7-42C4-8AAB-1AF48F4AD12C.jpeg
    guts likes this.
  3. guts


    Aug 13, 2018
    Nice work on that wrench! If you don't have a grinder you can buy a tool that's very similar called a flare nut wrench. Probably going to cost more, but also probably less than buying or renting a grinder.
  4. Flare wrenches are worth a try. The ones I have were too thick to fit in the space I modified that one for.
    mech and guts like this.
  5. I use a socket great!!
    Qlanq likes this.
  6. Turnaround

    Turnaround Commercial User

    May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician - Retired
    I use a thin flat wrench, like these:

  7. dax21


    Nov 26, 2011
    Tubular angled socket wrenches, though finding a short one that fits cavity could be tricky, especially if your cavity is crowded with active electronics and no room to maneuver. That being said, when I replaced a barrel jack a few months ago I tightened it by hand and it still holds firm. Just make sure to use some kind of a washer under the nut. I used a metal one but I imagine a rubber washer would be more vibration-proof.