1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Barry Bonds blames racism over steroids allegations

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Barry Bonds is such a joke. He should do everyone a favor and just retire. No one really cares about his records or consideres them to be valid anyways. Everyone knows he is/was bulked up on roids. So was Mcguire, and Sosa, and Palmero, Canseco, ect. You're biggest power and productive seasons come when you're in the prime of your career, not when you're 36-40 years old. Get real, it was obvious from the beginning.

2. It's common practice to post a link to whatever article you're talking about.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The card has been played!

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I disagree with him, but I do wonder why "Golden Boy" Mark McGuire is getting a pass, or atleast minimal mention.

5. I would think that he's been thoroughly discredited. In any case, he no longer holds the home run record.

If Bonds had never made it to 73 and McGwire were still on top, I think he'd be feeling a lot more heat--and considering how he melted down in his congressional testimony, I don't think he'd have taken it very well.

6. MO542

MO542

Jan 6, 2006
    Nashville
    Because McGuire is not playing anymore and Bonds could break several highly coveted records before he retires.

That being said, I made a bet with a coworker this week. When we heard that MLB was investigating Bonds, I bet him $20 that the race card would be played before the end of the week. I saw this from a mile away, easy $20.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    +1 ... Many times. Let's move on.

8. One reason is alot of the stuff he was taking was legal then, and didn't become banned until later on. Still, McGuire definitely abused the roids....ever hear him talk nowadays? His voice cracks like a 13 year old kid.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    He saw this coming, and ducked out with his money before it got too hot in the kitchen.

-Mike

10. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    if all of these bozoz are innocent , why have no slander/libel suits been leveled? bonds is suing for the usage of sealed grand jury evidence. cal ripkin was the last honorable player in my book.

11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Sorry, It was on CNN last night but I can't find a link. I don't think there was article on it, just a quote from Barry himself that they had one some debate show.

12. Well, the joke is on Bonds either way. If even half of what he's been accused of is true, his body will completely fall apart on him in about a decade, if not sooner. Even if he breaks the home run record, baseball fans will never accept his accomplishments as legit - his staggering numbers will be largely considered the product of an era where steroid use ran rampant. After all, Sammy Sosa passed Frank Robinson on the home runs list, but is there a single knowledgeable baseball fan who believes Sosa was really the better of the two?

I'm sick of the steroid era...let's hope we'll see a cleaned up game within the next few years.

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WHO THE HELL CARES!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a freaking GAME for goodness sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Meh. All of my Bonds' cards that I collected years ago are now worthless.

15. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    If steroid injections were mandatory we wouldn't be having such a conversation and everyone could be happy!

:bag:

One day...

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Bonds is just the scapegoat for the whole steroids scandal. Criticizing him seems to be the 'hip' and 'trendy' thing to do, despite steroid use largely being overlooked in the Sosa/McGwire homerun race and the years up until the most recent scandals. Fans were buying tons of tickets, jerseys, hot dogs, and a bunch of other crap. There weren't any boycotts.

A few select players didn't create the entire situation of steroid use in baseball. Numerous players participated any it was to some extent perpetuated by fans and media with their desire to see records crushed.

17. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Indeed... it is just a game. However, there are many like myself who truly love 'the game', and I have been so sorely disheartened by all of this... I'm hard-core when it comes to the records, and if it is ever proven beyond a doubt that these guys accomplished their feats while juiced, I want them to get the same treatment as what has happened to Pete Rose...

18. Man, American sports. Madness I tell you.

19. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I think the same might be said for English soccer... 'er football...

20. I agree, but when you gain fame and, in this case, notoriety for being a homerun champion amidst a bunch of other guys who were legitimate in their ability, one must call it into question.

It would be like... well... there is no comparison, but imagine bass-roids. Would you respect a guy as much if he were cheating?