1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Barry Eisler - John Rain Series

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fingerguy, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Anyone a Barry Eisler John Rain Series? I am on his last book and I have to say this one and the one before were quite boring. The last one didn't get interesting till after half-way into it and hoping this at least starts picking up eventually.

But it being the last of the Rain series and being how these last two went, I have no interest in reading his other series.

I was thinking of maybe getting into the Jack Reacher series. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  2. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I found most of Clancy's books to be quite boring, and I was in the Navy so I knew a lot of the terminology and technology that he talks about. And I was still bored. My overall criticism of his work is that while he definitely does his research and knows his stuff he struggles with telling a compelling story. But he's very popular so opinions definitely vary. I think Red October is the only book I truly enjoyed.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I watched the Jack Ryan movies, some multiple times.
    I ended up reading Clear and Present Danger. I enjoyed every minute of it.

-Mike

4. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I agree. I found the movies more interesting than the books. I did sort of like that one looking up the name now.....Splinter Cell. The names and enemies was tough to follow but the gadgets, the guys ability, and especially the end was excellent especially the major bad guy. But I tried other books and after a few chapters I left the book at the office or gave it to the library for it was so boring.

But I am a Barry Eisler fan and since this is an audio book I am following which I only listen to when driving it's not that painful to keep going. But if I had to sit and read this it would be painful. But the question is where do I go from here? So many choices and so many bad ones too.

5. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    @blue4 & @MJ5150

I just realized my error. I didn't mean Jack Ryan, I meant Jack Reacher books. Any experience with the books (not the movie)?

6. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I haven't read those yet. Have you tried Daniel Silva? His character is an art restorer and an officer in Israeli intelligence. I get recommended these all the time but haven't gotten around to reading them yet. 17 books plus a few others out side of the series.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Big fan of all of Eisler’s work.

8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I think I only read one of the John Rain series, and wasn't very impressed. Conversely, I've read a number of the Jack Reacher books and enjoy them a lot. Lee Child is a good author. The only thing that spoils the Reacher books for me is the fact that Tom Cruise played Reacher in the movie. In the book, Reacher is a big, tough guy (about 6' 6"). Cruise is 5' 7". I know the movies can make anybody look taller; but Cruise just seemed miscast to me, having already read a number of the books. Just not my mental image of Jack Reacher.

If you've never read any of Nelson DeMille's "John Corey" series, you might really enjoy them. Corey isn't a tough guy along the lines of Jack Reacher; but he's no wimp. And he has a very cutting, sarcastic wit. Many a time I couldn't keep from laughing out loud in waiting rooms or wherever I happened to be reading them. I read the John Corey series in order, so there was a continuity to it.

9. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    After I am done with this book going to try Reacher. I too admit TC kind of ruined it for me because I personally do not like the guy. But I can look past that.

10. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Well finished the last Rain book yesterday and started on Reacher this morning. The beginning is much better than the beginning of a Rain book. Then again I forget all the ones prior to the last two for it's been awhile.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I also had to give in and sign up for Audible membership. All the services I have access to in regards to checking out books like a library either have a small selection of audio books (for I read other things at home), and those that have what I am looking for much like the first Reacher Book (which I am on now) has me on waiting list of position #30 and you are given the choice to hang onto a book either for 14 days to 21 days. In short it will be awhile before I get my place in line. I also tried a method having a download of the audio books from YouTube but found when they get to be a certain size that doesn't worth either.

Which after looking into services the only one that made the most sense was Audible from Amazon. Their prices for books (w/out an Audible account) were ridiculous. With an audible account choosing the credits for 2 books a month is much cheaper. The monthly cost equates to 1 w/out the membership so in short I am getting 2 for the price of 1.

So unless there are better and/or free options it's Audible for now. If I didn't enjoy listening to audio books as much as I do while driving I wouldn't have pursued this as much as I did.

11. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I just finished the audiobook for the first JR (Jack Reacher) book "The Killing Floor". I wasn't blown away and at times bored. He went too much on and on about him and that woman and then all the descriptions about this and that. Got to the point I am yelling "We got it already move on" but it's silly since it won't change anything.

I also ordered the 2nd book and if it's anything like the 1st I will stop with the JR books after that.

I also have on my Wishlist (waiting for my next cycle of credits) for the American Assassin book. The movie ratings were not that impressive but the book ratings were better. So trying that and then found a book that kicked off one of my favorite all time horror movies: Hellraiser. So that will be my next choice, then the 2nd book for JR, then the American Assassin and going from there.

Note this is all audio for I bounce between Audio books and music. I don't bother with XM anymore since I spend more time on the audiobooks.