Bartók recommendations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 5, 2003.

1. I've got the Chilingirian Quartet's recordings of his string quartets and the CSO/Boulez recording of his Dance Suite. I WANT MORE.

Any recommendations for particular compositions and recordings I should acquire?
  2. The opera 'Bluebeard's Castle' is truly sinister and has some of the coolest bits of orchestration.

It's only one CD in length so it won't break the bank.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Bartok has been one of my favorites for many years now. In addition to his 4th and 6th quartets (my favorites), I also dearly love his Concerto for Orchestra and Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celeste. If you're really into his quartets, you might also want to check out Gyorgy Ligeti's first (albeit unofficial) quartet, entitled Metamorphoses Nocturnes (that's a paraphrase, but it's pretty close).

Of his piano music, there's a set of solo pieces called 15 Hungarian Peasant Songs which are really nice. I've played a few of them, and they're much harder than they seem at first. Harmonically, he has a strange way of being both inside and outside at the same time, which I've always found wonderful.
  4. That's exactly the quality that draws me to his music--his dissonances are properly teeth-grinding, yet they somehow sound right.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I like Bartok a lot as well - I can recommend a CD which won awards here - Sir Simon Rattle conducting the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra - Concerto for Orchestra and "The Miraculous Mandarin" which is a truly stunning spectacular for large orchestra! 70+ minutes of top-notch Bartok!! :)

The "Concerto" is famous for its musical joke - so it parodies the main theme from Shostakovich's 7th "Leningrad" symphony, then blows a raspberry at it!!

I also like the Piano Concertos and pieces mentioned before.
  6. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    If you would like to hear some Bartok arranged for bass and piano, check out Jeff Bradetich on "Double Bass Portraits".

He performs 5 relatively short pieces from Bartok's Romanian Folk Dances. Very challenging stuff.
  7. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    can I reccomend Kodaly's sonata for solo cello. he was a contempory and close friend of Bartok's, and this peice is amazing and scary.
  8. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    especially the original recording by Janos Starker, I've heard very good more modern recordings, but nothing that touches this. it was written for him, and you can hear why...