1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bart 4.7 in, but volume pot makes "sweeping" noise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dbthump, Apr 23, 2009.

1. dbthump

dbthump

Mar 20, 2009
    Tampa
    I put in my 4.7 Bart pre but the volume pot makes noise. I seems I can get to full volume, but it sounds muffled and makes noise as I turn it up or down. I connected the pup grounds there as instructed, as well as the bridge ground.

Did I do something wrong?

2. You probably have a defective volume pot. I'd return it to the supplier, or if that's not possible, it it might be worth cleaning it with switch cleaner. That might do the trick, but if it doesn't, and the unit isn't new (ie you bought it second hand, or it's an old one of yours), then it's not a big deal to change out the pot. If you're handy with an iron, it's an easy job (I've done it myself), or you could get someont to do it for you. Firsat though, check out all your connections, but it does sound lik a dodgy pot if it's noisy when turned and makes crackling noises etc.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'd also say either the pot is bad, or it was over heated during soldering.

I had just put a brand new pan pot in one of my basses, and one gang was bad like this... just made a scratchy noise and I wasn't able to clean it. The sound from that pickup would drop out in the middle of the rotation.

4. dbthump

dbthump

Mar 20, 2009
    Tampa
    well at least it's just the volume knob and it does turn up all the way. Does SamAsh or GC carry that kinda stuff locally you think?

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'm not sure if you will get something the right value at a music store... they have pots for passive pickups.

You can probably get something that will work at RadioShack, but it will have a solid shaft that needs to be cut to length.

Have you tried cleaning the pot? In a pinch you can use WD40. That's fixed some scratchy fader on my Behringer mixer that contact cleaner wouldn't fix.

6. dbthump

dbthump

Mar 20, 2009
    Tampa
    Knowing that I'd be off today I had planned on going to GC with my bass to jam on some cabinets, so I stopped in to see the resident luthier and get a free squirt of Deoxit. So he plugs it in and he can't hear a thing. Since there was music blasting all around, and upon my insistance that there was a noise, he cranked it to "11" but still nothing. So off I went into the bass room, plugged in, and jammed noise free. So I can't duplicate the sound unless I'm plugged into my PC, as I've been doing without a similar noise. But no matter as I know it's fine. Despite this BBG is sending me a Bart volume pot free of charge as a back up, along with some better knobs since Bart doesn't supply them. So happy endings all around.

The pre is amazing! So many more sound options than I had before, and the mid switch/knob is the key to that I think. Can't wait to put the kids to bed and jam all night.