Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bart 8CBP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bino, Mar 20, 2006.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    On the advice of my lawyer, I'm seeking info on this pickup. I'm concerned about Barts in general sounding too polished. I'm looking for a classic sounding pickup with those vintage highs, but with added punch, and a clear bottom. Something a little more "tough" than the typical vintage pickup. Does that equal Bart?

disclaimer: you'll have to swear an oath before offering your testimony.

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, I have an 8CBP in my Warmoth, paired up w/ a 9J... But, I'm not swearing to nuttin... still want me to tell you my experiences with it?

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    You've been granted immunity. Please proceed.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Alrighty,

My impression is that the CB series of pups, is significantly hotter than thier standard line of pups.

Its a rather nice sounding P but, its really not vintage, IMHO. It's really more of a full range sounding P. Yet, it still sounds distinctly like a P.

Its been my experience that vintage P, isnt...as you said.
    BUT, The hotter nature really gives it good punch, & I think its a clear sounding pup, top to bottom. Its like a P, but better. So, it may very well be exactly what you're describing.

By the way, where in Maine are you? I did 1 year @ Loring AFB, way up at Caribou.

Also, I would add, if you're planning on mating it to a J, for a PJ config... the standard output of the 9J isnt up to what an 8CBP is... In my application, the 8CBP overpowers the 9J substantially. So much so, that I think I'm going to have to swap out the 9J for a 9CBP, in hopes that the outputs will match up better.

5. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Nice, the hot output and clarity are definitely in line with what I'm after. What I like most about "vintage" P pickups (and what I meant in my inquiry) is the highs. But they always tend to be too smooth down low. So, are you satisfied with it (with the exception of your current PJ setup)?

Caribou, huh? I'm in Orono (Bangor), but haven't ventured north of Millinocket and Baxter. Maybe once summer arrives I'll slide up there for all 3 days.

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The pup is a keeper... no doubt about it.

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I love it!