1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bart/Bart MK-1/, Mighty Mite/OBP-3?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Apr 19, 2006.

1. First off... Mods, if this isn't in the right spot, please move it on out. :)

I just *inherited* another Conklin GT-5. This is the newer model with the Bart MK-1 pickups, and the Mighty Mite (I believe) pre. Well, I'm getting an annoying buzz from it. It's not a ground issue, it's pretty permanent.

As some of you might know, I have another GT-5 that had noise problems and I swapped out the pickups and electronics for USA Barts, and an OBP-3. HUGE improvement, and I love it.

Anywho, I'm curious where said buzz might be coming from. I've heard some people say that the MK-1s are actually purdy good pickups, with more of a dirtier sound than the warmer USA Barts (which is fine by me). I'd go ahead and keep them and just swap out the guts for an OBP-3 if tone-wise that is the case, and they aren't to blame.

So... two part question. 1.) Where is my buzz most likely coming from? and 2.) If general consensus is that the electronics that are to blame, would it be a good idea to keep the MK-1's in place, and just swap the pre?

Thanks much in advance! ;)

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    This probably belongs in the Pickups forum, but anyway...

In my experience with MK-1s in a a Lakland 55-01, I have to agree that the pickups themselves are pretty good. They definately benefitted from a better preamp than the stock one on the 55-01.

Mike

3. Well, it's party a pickup question.... But it's also partly not. That's why I threw it in here.

Anywho, thanks for the reply. :)

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I very much doubt that it is the pups. I have a 55-01, and the pups don't buzz.

It is never for sure of course -everything breaks eventually- but it's generally a good Idea to test the cheapest part first. (i.e. the preamp)

Have you tried wiring up the pickups passively strait into an input jack. It's a cheap way to test. Your other most likely culprit is a ground loop or other grounding issue. Ask in the pickups section for better advice on that issue.

5. bsullivan

bsullivan

Dec 13, 2005
    Lansing, MI
    What's the sheidling like?

I have swapped out a Bart 3 band (MK3 I think, SR506) for an OBP-3. But I also sheilded the control cavity really well at the same time. End result....dead quiet.

IMHO, the aguilar pre is cleaner and has a more usuable eq section.

edit: Same pickups btw. They're decent. Not earth shattering but decent.

6. The noise issue is new. When I just got it there was no real noise issue. It's kind of just recently surfaced, so I'd assume the shielding issue wouldn't be it. When I eventually do replace the pre (and possibly pickups) I'll certainly shield it as best I can.

Thanks for your help.

Eric

7. Have not tried that. I'll look into that when I finally attack the bass for upgrades (before I tear out the pickups).

Thanks. :)