1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bart for OLP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Mar 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    20180330_040036. I've recently come into an OLP Sting-a-Ree, and a TB'r was gracious with a nice pre for it. Really woke it up... now I've run into a Bartolini MMC p'up with a Bart pre for it. It came out of a Tobias Growler, and it's pretty complex. I'm sure all that gut-werks isn't going to fit into that little cavity in my bass... but I wonder if it can be trimmed, to be a little simpler? I don't necessarily need midrange toggles for both coils, etc. My approach to eq and all is pretty simple.

I could also hog out some real estate out of the back of the bass and expand the control csvity...

Anyway here's the pre. Thanks for your time and knowledge! PSX_20180330_041657. PSX_20180330_041922. 20180330_040133.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  2. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I've elected to drop this idea, and will carry on and enjoy the OLP for what it is.
    Thanks for looking in...

3. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    its worth the effort. I carved out cavities in my OLP's and installed 18 volt preamps with upgraded pickups and the results are incredible. The stock pickups in those OLP's are pretty much chinese junk

Count Bassie likes this.
  4. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Try it with just the pickup. I just finished a build on saturday with a bart MM pickup with no preamp. It sounds unbelievabe

Count Bassie likes this.
  5. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Maybe I'll try just the pickup first. Seems easy and logical enough...

6. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Bartolini always makes great stuff. Lige Curry the bassist for Funkadelic put a 3 band in his Stingray 5 and he said it blows away the stock preamp. A lot more balls, clarity and power. I'm thinking about putting their 2 band in one of my OLP's