1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bart HR5.4 or Aguilar OBP-3TK

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by carvinbassplyr, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Well, it's time to replace the preamp in my Tobias Classic V again. I was wondering if anyone here uses/used the Aguilar preamp with Bart pickups, or better yet in a Tobias? I put the HR5.4 in last time cause it was the "closest thing to the American MTD preamp" according to the guys at Bartolini. I like the 3 mid frequency selector of the Bart preamp > only 2 mid frequency selector on the Aguilar, but I'm open to trying new sounds since my Carvin already has a Bartolini HR5.4 in it. Thoughts?

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
  3. I have...very good stuff, but like twice the price lol. I really wish I could find the Demeter setup Terrance Palmer put into his Tobias when the TCT one died. He had it setup with toggle switch selectable frequencies on bass, mid AND treble! SO sick!

4. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I would highly recommend a John East U-Retro Deluxe. They are pricey but you really do get what you pay for. They sound fantastic.

5. Very interesting stuff. I don't really care for the "floating" mid range frequency knobs though. To easy to bump and I don't like floating around looking for a frequency. If it was detented that would be killer!

6. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Demeter will customize his preamp if you want selectable frequencies. Originally that was how James Tyler spec'd them for his basses IIRC.

Also, you can add switches to the lo-mid and hi-mid of the Pope Flexcore and with a passive tone control you get two treble rolloffs as well.

In terms of cost, an extra $100 for such a substantial improvement on a high end bass like your Tobias Classic is a drop in the bucket IMHO. A worthwhile investment to say the least.

7. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Here's a Tyler with the Tyler spec Demeter pre. Seeing this reminded me how much I wish Tyler still made basses:

tyler_front_comp.

8. How do you go about building a preamp from him this way? I loved the setup on TP's Tobias and thought it just simply didn't exist anymore.

9. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California