Bart J Single or Dual Coil?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NJL, Feb 28, 2003.

1. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just installed my new Barts in my Jazz. They are the 9J#1 - i am actually disappointed!

i have a set in my ibanez (PJ setup) and they sound nice!! This is why i decided to get some for my Jazz.

I have searched around on this and haven't really found much:

Have any of you AB'ed the Single Coil and Dual Coil in a Fender Jazz?

They just didn't have the low-mid and bass punch that i had expected! Should I have bought the Single Coil (i didn't like the noise on the Bridge pick-up solo stuff with my stock pick-ups)?

My profile shows you my set up - keep in mind i went home during lunch and installed them and played with and w/out my sadowsky pre - i played into my practice amp (fender BXR) and not my live rig.

any help or experience would be appreciated! thanks!

2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    one more try...
  4. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Don't know if this helps, but... since these pickups have 2 magnets in each one, are you sure that you're installing them so that each pickup's magents are in series (I presume this is the better mode for these Barts), instead of parallel?

Note: I personally don't have experience installing these, but their design is similar to the well-loved DiMarzio UltraJazz pickups (which you may want to try). Though each UltraJazz pickup can be installed in either series or parallel mode, they're supposedly much better in series mode, as the parallel mode will be "thin" sounding.

Keep in mind, I'm not referring to how you *combine* both pickups together -- that you can always do in either series or parallel mode, depending on your preference -- but to each *individual* pickup's configuration.

Oh... and try it out on your real rig, too. I really like my SWR Workingman's 12 as a practice amp, but it has *nowhere* near as much bottom end as my main rig.

5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm pretty sure that i wired them in the same way my stock pups were wired.

if i were to wire them series, would i lose the function of being able to solo each pickup?
  6. i have the 9J4's and they are ok and react to the usual phase cancellation when on together
    however they are split coil design and buck hum individually and if wired normally should be ok..
    i have wired mine with a on/on switch for series/parallel and on parallel you can still control each pup separately
    on series which is the best sound for me only one vol is operative and one is left full on.
    the output is lowish so your preamp may make a difference to your opinion when you use it.
    i dont have any gear between me and the combo and need to set the gain quite high to set to a clip flash.
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio