1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bart J1 or CBJD for my Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GroovyBaby, Oct 18, 2010.

1. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    I've got an American Jazz 5 string and I'm considering these two Barts. I love the way my Jazz plays but to me the sound is a bit compressed and I want some pickups with a broader frequency range...slightly hi-fi sounding. I know the Barts have some growl and are a bit "dark" and I want to try them. How do the J1 and CBJD compare? The CB is "classic bass". Does that mean the J1 is more modern sounding? Any help on how these compare would be appreciated!

2. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    Everyone else was sleeping too?

3. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s.htm
    There is the link for the "CB" series and the "J" series. They describe the CB as having "an extended and more resonant frequency range." I'm looking at the in-line humbucking version of each but wondered if anyone had any experience with the two. How do they compare? Which is more modern sounding, etc? Thanks.

4. i dont like bartolinis in passive mode. They lack output and low end. If you want bartolinis i recommend to install an active preamp.

5. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    I just talked with the guy at bestbassgear.com and he recommended the Delanos if I want that more modern sound. I also have a pair of Delanos in a fretless bass running passive and they sound great. SO, I ordered JC 5 HE.....oh boy!
    http://www.bestbassgear.com/delano-5-string-pickups.htm

6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I just put a pair of 9J-1's in my Fender Jazz...passive...these pickups sound AMAZING. And I really don't understand all the talk about them not having enough output...these sound HUGE.

I played the bass at rehearsal last night (2 loud guitars, drums) and the bass sounded great. The original pickups in the bass sounded like crap - they were thin and nasally and had no output. I had to dime the pots and almost dime the amp to get enough volume out of the bass and rig. When I plugged in the bass with the Bartolini's, I had to reduce the volume of the amp to 50% and run the pots at anywhere between 40 and 60% depending on the song. There is so much more output with the Bartolini's than there was with the standard Fender pickups. Maybe the original pickups in the Fender were wound incorrectly, I don't know. But I do know that the 9J-1's sound amazing in this bass.

Good luck finding the right pickups - I am happy with my choice and I hope you are too.