Bart MK1 vs. Bartolini + a question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Okay, that may be a weird title, but basically I was interested in buying the Ibanez SR506 that has the Bartolini MK1 pickups in it. But after playing it on Saturday, I'm not sure they will be what I'm after.

Instead, I'm most likely going to build up a 6 string Gecko from Warmoth and buy a couple of the EMG 45 shape Bartolini pickups from (though I'm not sure if I want to go with two of the quad coils, or two split coils).

Anyway, I've read one post where the MK1 pickups aren't as good sounding. . . . . .and made in Korea . . . . , and that the USA Barts are better sounding. What's your opinion?

On a side note, would I want two quads or two splits?
  2. Again I ask, . . . . Would I want to get two of the quad coil pickups, or two of the split coil pickups? What would be the advantages of the two setups?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you would use quad coils for enhanced splitting - such as P, reverse P. dual coils will give you series/parallel/single options.
    Either works, just a question of what you're looking for
  4. Looking for a solid Jazz sound, what you'd hear from the top fusion jazz groups.

Also, I'd like to be able to achieve the ability to dial in a sound that would be fairly close to the fretless sound, though I'll be going with small frets. Tone similar to Gary Willis with good sounding mid range.

Thanks for the help! :)
  5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    MK1 pickups sound very good. Are the American ones better sounding? Hard to say as they sound different. I have a Lakland 55-01 with MK1s and have had basses with Bart American made J and P pickups. To me the MK1 pickups are more agressive, while the American made Barts tend to be very warm and mellow sounding. What kind of music do you play? What kind of sound are you looking for?

I think the MK1 are as good sounding as American ones - but the sound is very different.

If you play heavy rock you might like the MK1 better. If you play mellower rock, or blues, or jazz, or country, or Motown, you might like the American ones better. Since you play jazz I would guess you might like the American ones better. Note I said "might". Sound is a very subjective thing, so YMMV.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think the MK-1 pickups are perfectly ok. I love the sound of them in the lakland 55-01, the weak link in that bass is the preamp and not the pickups imo.
    If they're not what you're looking sonically I'd recommend you get a bass that does get the sound you want in stock configuration. Sure, you can buy and change pickups but there's no guarantee you'll like the results.