1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bart MK5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geoff_tcf, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Geoff_tcf

Geoff_tcf

Mar 22, 2016
    I am planning a build with dual coil soapbar pickups. I tried some basses with the MK1 and wanted something similar but slightly less polite and a bit punchier (I like the warmth but it's too much for me). MK5 seems to be a nice choice but I could find little to none reviews/sound demos.
    Would anyone happen to have a demo or opinions/experience on these pickups? Other pickup suggestions are welcomed also!
    Thank you guys :)
    (Using it to play rock, funk, metal, jazz)

2. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hey there,

I have an Ibanez SR500 that I took the stock MK1s out of and put in some of the MK5's, here's my two cents on them....

Now I have an Audere preamp in there (3-band, fixed mids) so I have a very neutral preamp to compare them with. I would say that if you're looking for a "less polite" version of the MK1s you may be disappointed with these. I felt my EMG JX's had much more anger in them than these did. A lot of balance and air to them, but don't expect P-bass grind from them or a ton of growl, even with SS strings. A lot of folks won't touch the USA Barts without using a Bart preamp with them, which may be the winning combination for your build. However if you're looking for an unromanticized view on the pickups themselves, that's my experience with them. Plenty of folks like them, but I like to think I have a very broad taste in tones (everything from flatwound thumpy P's to super aggressive Ibanez humbuckers), so it was more than a "not my taste" thing.

3. I think the OP is in the wrong forum. :)

Mama don’t want no pickup lines in here. :D

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Don't forget those MK-1 equipped basses have MK-1 preamps too. My Lakland 55-01, I installed a US Bartolini preamp and the bass opened up sonically. I tried MK-5's and didn't like them. I ended up putting the MK-1's back in. Having said that, I'm upgrading the bass right now with a full Aguilar setup. Super Doubles and an OBP-3 preamp.