Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bart NMTB powered by 18 volts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Schwinn, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    This question has surfaced out of a personal conversation with luknfur...and I thought it would be interesting to get everyone's opinion...

Can a Bartolini NTMB preamp be wired for 18 volt operation, rather than the standard 9 volts? Any reason why that wouldn't work?

2. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I think it may depend on which NTMB model you have. The one that is named simply "NTMB" is designed only for 9 volt operator.
    But all of the other NTMB preamps in that group (NTMB 918, 918F, 918FL, etc.) can be used with either 9 or 19 volts and the wiring diagrams for each configurations are available on the Bartolini site:
    http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/electronics/ntmb/ntmb_family.htm

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    berklee46, that's my understanding too.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey guys,

This is the standard 9 volt version. I can run it 9 volts if I have to, but my bass is setup for 18 so I thought I'd pick your brains.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm confused by Bartolini's website. Say I want to use the 4 knob preamp labeled as HR 4.6, right? Every one of the 4.x series preamps is an NMTB 918F model like was discussed earlier (even though there are different features for each of them). Is the 4.x number the important thing, or am I missing something?

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The HR x.y number is a harness number only, and relates to the knob / switch layout rather than the preamp features. Generally the x number relates to the number of knobs, but there are some inconsistencies.

I have a 4.6 NTMB I'm waiting to install in something, I just checked and it's an NTMB 918F so 18v should be no problems. You learn something every day!

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I think I'll run it 9 volts so I don't fry it or anything.