1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bart NTMB a bit too dark? Cure here -

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hullaballoo, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I was convinced I'd read a thread here which mentioned changing out the vol and blend pots on the Bart NTMB, to give it more upper mids and top. I was worried that the values were so extremely different from the standard ones, that I contacted Roger at Mike Lull's, who I remembered as having done the mod, and he gave me the go-ahead.
    Well, the results have been outstanding! I've still got the original lows, (with the P4 p/ups, by the way) but the top end has opened out completely, to the extent that it sounds like a different bass. I was going to try a couple of new pickups, but now I don't need to, and all it cost me was about £10 and a couple of hours of (rather fiddly) work. I can't say enough about how helpful Roger was, and not a penny in it fo him! I almost feel I should get my bass Pleked to pay him back!
    And the values?
    The original vol is 25k - change to 500k (or 250k for a slightly mellower sound, or so theory dictates, but I haven't heard that one)
    The original blend ot is 250k - change it to 500k also.
    There are a lot of wires to remove/replace, but I've never been happier with the results of two hours work. It really IS a new bass. I just wish I'd heard of this six years ago when I bought the bass

2. Interesting! If I had known this I might still own my old Roscoe.

3. Well I've just bought a DJ5 because I wanted some growl and high end, and if I'd known about this before, I'm not sure I would have bought another bass, because I can get nearly all I want sound-wise from the original bass now. The Aero-equipped DJ5 is stll jsut a great Jazz, with all that implies, but the original bass now no longer sounds like it's got the proverbial blanket over it by comparison!