Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bart NTMB big improvement over MK-1?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by no-logic, Oct 28, 2005.

1. I'm thinking of installing a Bart NTMB in place of the stock MK-1 pre amp in my Lakeland Skyline 44-01. Would I notice a big difference in sound quality with this change?

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I did it...
    Not a huge difference, but the NTMB is a bit cleaner, quieter(from interference) and the volume taper is smoother.
    Trouble is , once I did that I could never get used to the sound of the MK pickups, so ended up putting Fralins in......
    So, it probably would have made more sense to trade for an 02

3. I did it and didn't notice a significant difference. Not enough to justify $130 for it anyway. However you will benefit from more midrange options and possibly resale value.

4. Cool....thanks guys. You saved me some money! :D

5. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I've had both a 55-01 and one of the Cort/Elrick JP5's with the same pickups and preamp. I put a Demeter 3-band preamp in each and really liked it.

The other replacement I wanted to try was an Aguilar OBP-1 setup as a five knob with bass-treble-passive tone-blend-volume, with a push/pull active/passive on the volume knob.

Technically, I'm not sure if the preamp is called an MK-1. The pickups are, but I think the preamp is kind of a 'no-name'.

6. What kind of improvement did you notice?