Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BART NTMB verse SADOWSKY on board

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by burk48237, Dec 16, 2004.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I have a frettless with BART P/Js, I am going to upgrade my preamp.
    Does anyone have any experience with either the Bart NTMB or Sadowsky (onboard or Outboard) with these pickups.
    Thanks

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

In a nutshell, if you want control of mids, NTMB. If not, the Sad.

The rest is just verbage but apparently I still feel compelled to purge periodically.

I've had a set of Bart PJ's in a bass with a TCT preamp for about a year. Then I pulled all preamps and modified them to outboards, NTMB, OBP-3, BQC. I've had a dozen or so preamps (NTBT, OBP-1, BTC, whatever) and ended up getting rid of all of them. There wasn't enough difference to me to bother with one over the other in terms of tone shaping. Cut and boost varied some and that seemed to make more a difference than anything but I could get cut/boost through my amp.

I never did pick up a Sadowsky cause I was preamped out by the time one came up at a reasonable price but I have consistently heard people rave about them. Sadowsky swears on the two bands and I favor mids but, to be honest, the NTBT and BTC did just fine in my book. The OBP-1 had no cut and less boost and seemed anemic compared to the rest to me. Probably the NTMB with 3 po mid-switch was the one I prefered. In preamps, I doubt Sadowsky's got anything on anybody else but I doubt anybody else has anything on Sadowsky either.