Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bart P2 and P4 vs. EMG 40DC and 40CS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Bartolini P2/P4

45.5%
  2. EMG 40DC/40CS

54.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    I'm about to get a new bass with swamp ash body, maple top, wenge/maple neck and wenge fretboard. I'll use it for Soul and Funk music, and maybe some Reggae and Latin.

So what do you think, what of these pups should I get for that bass?

Thanks

2. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I have a 40P5. 40DC and 40J in my bass. The DC is the kind of pickup you want for that kind of music.. and even though I play that kind of music, I have the other pickups on the bass. I prefer the EMG 40P and 40J.

The DC sounds good in the music man position... I've tried it in the neck and bridge position and I'm just not that crazy about it in those spots. It has a very bright top end that seems impossible to warm up in the bridge position. It's better in the neck position, but I think the 40P has a better tone. The CS has a warmer sound. I haven't tried one though.

Barts might be a way to go, or the 40P and 40J, which are still soapbars.

3. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    and I just wanted to add that besides it should sound warm and growly, I would also like to hear that percussive sound of my fingers.

and in that EMG case, I was planing to use CS and DC, one in the bridge and one in the neck position

4. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    so anybody else has experience and is able to compare those Barts and EMGs?

thanks

5. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I'd like to hear more. Has anyone compared The EMG DC's against the EMG TW's?

I'd like to find out if the TW can sound like the DC , but also, as the description of the pickup suggests, whether or not it can do a goo P style impression as well?

6. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    The TW is a CS humbucker and a J stacked "single coil" in the same case. It wont sound like a DC, but it will sound like a CS, which is a warmer version of the DC. It also wont do a P style, but it will do a J style. The 35P or 40P pickups are P style in the soapbar case. I have a 40P5 in my bass and I love it.

So think of the TW as an MM style and a J style in the same case... and you can switch between the two, which is as close to a humbucker/single coil switch as you will get with an EMG.

You also can run them both at the same time... which could be interesting with a blend or two volumes.

7. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it. I'd like to hear a TW Vs a DC pickup to make a comparison. i wonder if anyone has these pickups to record a wee bit of slap for me & post?

8. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I'd like to share my thoughts if i may. I have a custom built 5 string bass which came with a EMG40 J in the neck position and a EMG40DC in the bridge position. (Swamp ash body and pau ferro fingerboard)

Today I changed the DC pickup for a 40CS. I now feel that there is a significant improvement in tone warmth. Earlier I felt that the 40DC pickup was a bit harsh. With the 40CS I can now solo the bridge pickup and enjoy the sound. Less treble response, mellower, but nice for this pickup position IMO. I am very happy with it.

I don't know what bass you'll be wanting, but I can also recommend the 40J in the neck position for slap.
    Hope I am not too late in the thread to be helpful.

9. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    bit of a delayed response from me.. but, no, you are not too late. I'm tempted to take advantage of the easy release connections and try different 45's in the bass when it comes..

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

10. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I like the 40P5 in the neck position for slap... gives a nice warm hollow tone with naturally scooped mids. The 40J is a nice pickup... I think I actually like it better than the DC, except the output isn't as high.

The DC is a bit on the harsh side when installed at the bridge. I was told by the designer it was meant to be installed in the Music Man pickup location. They sound much better there.

I'm actually in the process of winding my own EMG 40 style active pickups... they will have a very uncolored hi-fi tone, unlike EMG's which are "tone modeled" to make them sound more like hi impedance pickups.