Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bart Pickups. HELP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Theshortlist_to, May 1, 2005.

1. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    The bart pickup on the single soapbar option on the rapture is an active pickup however the only bart soapbar i can find that resembles the one on the rapture is passive.

anyone know what pup and pre-amp combo is used on the Rapture? and where they are available from?

i like the modern sound on the single soapbar and want something low and growly like warwick???

any suggestions on pups and pre-amp for an active soapbar with a low growly sound?

AAAAAGGGHHHHH

PLEASE HELP

Thanks,

Tom

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I highly doubt that the pickup is actually active. I don't think Bartolini sell very many, if any, active pickups these days.

However, there is a distinct possibility that you can't buy the exact pickup that is in the RB. Bartolini often make custom-wound pickups available only for the bass maker that orders them (eg Roscoe, MTD).

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You know what, I take that back. The Pedulla webpage says the following about the soapbars in the MVP:

"The soapbars also have an integral straight gain preamp."

I don't have any idea if the same SB is used in the Rapture, but the fact that they have some active Bartolinis in their basses at all, well that makes me doubt what I said.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm 99% certain the rapture soapbar isn't active.
    I've owned a few rapture j/j, p/j's which had passive pickups. I also owned a soapbar rapture, and I'm as positive as I can be without seeing it that it's passive.
    The preamp is a custom one for pedulla.

5. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    I believe the single soapbar is passive and the dual soapbar is active. I have a dual soapbar Rapture and it is certainly active.
    The preamp is custom.

6. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    I also think I read somewhere that Pedulla will install anything they have into just about ant bass. I don't know if they will sell outright.
    I have had some good responses from them. The only way to contact them is through the website.
    Michael called me back directly on one question.

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    In the dual j/j rapture, and also the p/j rapture, the bass is active, but the pickups are passive. I know this to be a fact from my experiences under the covers with these basses.
    On the soapbar, I'm 99.9% sure the pickup is also passive, and know for a fact that the bass is active. I never messed much with my single soapbar rapture, only had it a while, so only opened up the cavity once.

8. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I am baisically looking for the best soapbar be it active or passive to work with the best pre-amp to get that low, growly, modern sound in an active bass.

The bass is to only have one pickup so i have opted for the soapbar, purely for looks.

I might go for the Bart Passive soapbar CF or BC, however im now toiling over the M44C for its low tones and the NTMB 3-band Pre-amp.

Anyone who has had experience with these pups and pre-amp configuration and can give me an accurate description as to what sound i can expect or anyone who can suggest a soapbar pre-amp combo that will give me the sound im after, please post.

Thanks

Tom

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    When you say 'like Warwick' it's a really broad description - Warwick have lots of different makes/models - are you talking about thumb / streamer / corvette / fna etc.

10. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    i want something with the growl hear on many warwicks, but i would say like the corvette.

11. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Kinda off subject, but I can't say enough about the Bart I put in my SR5. I played a Modulus one time, and fell in love with the growl that the Barts seemed to bring out. I dropped one in my SR5, and I fell in love instantly. My 'B' string wasn't a pile of mud anymore! I actually swapped the Bart out for the stock pup this weekend, just because everyone was praising the "StingRay sound".... that lasted until Sunday morning, when I switched back to the Bart a couple hours before church. Man oh man.... what a difference.

12. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Cool what model pup do you have?

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sound has to do with a lot of factors, including wood, preamp, pickups, strings, technique, pickups, pickup location etc.

Most warwick basses are two pickup basses, you're not going to get the same sound IMO with a single pickup.
    What type of bass are you putting this in? Brand/woods?

14. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Its the custom bass im currently getting built

it will have a bubinga basewood with maple top, mahogony neck with and ebony fretboard.

15. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I have a Bart 72BC5K-B soapbar in my bass that sounds amazing. It's not active but is being run with an onboard pre. It's very crisp in the highs but still has that growly dark bart sound. The reason I chose the Barts was that I missed the tone of my pedullas. And even though I have a completely different bass now the soapbar still manages to capture the sound I was looking for.

16. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Mine is a MV5E model, I believe.