Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bart pre-amp in a Brice.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Robear22, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I am going to install a bartolini NTBT 2 band preamp in my Brice 6 string. It is the one with the bubinga top. How much will this improve my sound? I heard that Bart preamps are good but what kind of sound should I expect with that combination? Also am I going to eventually have to change the pickups?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know that the Bart preamp will change your sound that much. The ones that I've tried are incredibly transparent and let the pickup's voice really come through. If you're looking to significantly change your tone, you might look elsewhere.

3. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Right now the original seems to be only an active tone preamp. Rondo says that it is a 2 band preamp but to my ear it seems that the only sound I get out of the bass when I turn my knobs is a change in tone for each pickup not a boost or cut in the treble and bass. The bart preamp will at least give me that right? I see you had a Brice also. Did your preamp do the same thing or did yours adjust your bass and treble?

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Mine seemed to work properly... Actually, I retract that statement, my SECOND one worked properly. The first one I received had a defective preamp and after discussing it with Kurt at Rondo he decided to have me send it back and he shipped me out a replacement (all with no cost to me, you gotta love Rondo's customer service). The second one functioned properly in both active and passive modes (obviously the active controls didn't work in passive mode, but that's a bit of a moot point). The control layout should be a simple volume/blend/bass/treble, at least that's how mine functioned. I've since sold the bass so I can't go and confirm that unfortunately. The Bart preamp will definitely give you the proper controls to do what you want. In my opinion there are "tastier" preamps available, but the Bart will most certainly get the job done. Good luck with everything!

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've had the NTBT and it's a quality preamp with bass and treble boost/cut that's equal to any of the 2 bands I know out there. It also usually has a gain trim pot on it which is a plus. The OBP-1 is boost only and not as much as the Bart. The EMB BTC I don't recall off hand but was a good preamp as well and has 4 dip switches to alter the treble knee frequency and that's a plus.

However, if you're bass doesn't sound any different active or passive and the battery is good, you probably have a bad preamp as well and that may be worth following up on cause you may like it just fine when it's functioning properly.

Mostly what you'll notice from a preamp is boost not tone shaping, especially with aftermarket preamps cause they're designed to work with basically any pups and therefore they have to be fairly adaptable. The preamp you've got is more likely geared to your exisiting pups unless it's just some generic pre they throw into everything.