Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bart pre-amp in Thumb Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretless5, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Hi there.
    I am thinking of replacing my Thumb's MEC pre-amp with a Bartolini pre (specifically the HR3.3). It's not that I am particullarly unhappy with the MEC, I'm just thinking that the Barts might give me a bit more, I don't know, ummph.
    It is a 6 string BO. Right now it has a nice "woody" tone to it (and I don't want to lose that). So my question is: Has anyone out there switched out the MEC with a Bart, and how did it change the bass' sound?

Thanks.

2. <---- pickups

3. Anyone? Anyone?

4. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Although I have since sold my Warwick TBO-5,I replace the stock MEC pups/preamp with Bartolini soap bars/and the (18 volt)tct preamp which made an amazing difference.I've always thought that Warwick basses were growly, but yet the tone was a bit harsh.Not like a MM but not for what I was wanting at the time.The only reason that I sold the bass was that it weighed a ton and I never really liked the neck.Other than that it was a good bass.

5. Thanks hands5.
    I am not really considering replacing the PUPS yet, thought I'd try the pre-amp first. I think the Bart would give me a little more fine tuning in the tone.