1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bart pre-amp in Thumb Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretless5, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Hi there.
    I am thinking of replacing my Thumb's MEC pre-amp with a Bartolini pre (specifically the HR3.3). It's not that I am particullarly unhappy with the MEC, I'm just thinking that the Barts might give me a bit more, I don't know, ummph.
    It is a 6 string BO. Right now it has a nice "woody" tone to it (and I don't want to lose that). So my question is: Has anyone out there switched out the MEC with a Bart, and how did it change the bass' sound?

Thanks.

2. <---- pickups

3. Anyone? Anyone?

4. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Although I have since sold my Warwick TBO-5,I replace the stock MEC pups/preamp with Bartolini soap bars/and the (18 volt)tct preamp which made an amazing difference.I've always thought that Warwick basses were growly, but yet the tone was a bit harsh.Not like a MM but not for what I was wanting at the time.The only reason that I sold the bass was that it weighed a ton and I never really liked the neck.Other than that it was a good bass.

5. Thanks hands5.
    I am not really considering replacing the PUPS yet, thought I'd try the pre-amp first. I think the Bart would give me a little more fine tuning in the tone.