Bart preamp question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I'm planning on putting a bart preamp in my project bass and would like to keep the knobs to a minimum. I like having the stacked knobs so I can have plenty of stuff to fidget with while only having a few holes through the face of the bass.

I'm wondering how important the mid adjustment is for getting just the right sound, and if the bass and treble frequencies are the same between the 2 or 3 band amps, or if they spread the highs and lows farther apart when using a mid control.

Trying to decide between these two:
    - Volume/Volume Stack
    - Mid (push-pull freq selector)
    - Treble/Bass stack
    - Volume (w/Active-Passive Push-Pull)
    - Blend
    - Treble/Bass stack.

I like the blend and the active/passive switch, but I'm not too sure about dropping the mid control. Which would you choose?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Mid is very important, although generally I set and forget. If you're always playing through your own amp, you can probably set your mids there and so you may not need a 3 band onboard.

I play through a house rigs and so like to keep the house amp flat and eq on the bass. So, 3 band is very important to me.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

When I had the NTMB with the 3 position mid select (seems it was 200/400/800), one of them I rarely used. But it also had the mid boost/cut pot. Mid's are what sound engineers vary for most recordings so I've taken a lead from that and found I do pretty much the same when it comes to getting a tone for a tune. For me, treble is most likely to stay put. Bass and mids go hand in hand.

That said, I've had an EMG BTC and Bart NTBT both of which I liked real well and got by fine without the mid control. The OBP-1 was real thin to me. The frequency's are different in the two or three band preamps.

Especially if you have access to control mids seperately and it's not an onboard issue - I'd be willing to bet you'd be satisfied with an NTBT. From recall, I liked it as well or better than the NTMB.