Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bart Probs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luke Sheridan, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Luke, you're not supplying enough information or a detailed enough question for anyone to really go on. Nor are you addressing the suggestions people are making to you in the other thread. For something as vague as "no output", there are a dozen possible diagnoses and you're going to have to test them out and get back to those who have made suggestions so those who are knowledgable can rule out causes and get a better handle on what's going wrong.

Bartolini has lots of diagrams, including those for the NTMB, on their web site under "installation instructions".

What do you mean by "poles"? Do these pickups not have leads already attached to them? Have you checked the output impedance of the pickups as LTB suggested?

3. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Poles, wire connectors. Not sure what you call them. There on the back of the pickups. I had disconnected the wires from the pickups a few weeks ago. I'm certain i reconnected them exactly the same way.

4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Ouch! New pickups.

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    What is the model number of the pickup?

Why did you remove the wires from the back of the pickup?

You need to test the resistances between the lugs on the back of the pickup (a) to see if they are working and (b) to figure out where the two ends of the coils are. Since you've lost your reference point by disconnecting the wires at the pickups, you have to start from scratch. Take the NTMB out of the equation. See if you can get the pickups, individually, generating a signal directly to an output jack.

6. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I'll be purchasing an ohm meter this week. I ask myself the same question about disconectin the wires. Hopefully this will be resolved this week and I'll have a better understanding of this.