Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bart Quad Coil (9W4, 9W4J) Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've read some reviews, they sounded like great PU's...so of course, they're now impossible to find and discontinued. Anybody still using them, and can you compare to the newer jazz PU offerings?

Will

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I think they also used to be called 94J. 2 of my friends have a set, 1 is in my old Tokai pre CBS jazz copy and they sound pretty far from a stock J bass. I really like them but they are anything but vintage. The old ones gave you access to all the coils so you could go nuts with series parallel combos. They have a nice deep supportive tone instead of a more upfront j bass honk.

The other set replaced some active SD's in a Ken Lawrence, the complaint with the stock SD's was they were too bright even with the treble all the way off on the active pre. You can hear them on the recording here, though it's a bit hard to really tell since it's been mixed and stuff.

http://www.mozaicthemusic.com/broadband/bigbackgrounds_content.html

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

had the 94J's and there's a review in Dimento's J pup experiment but to my knowledge that's a different pup than what you're asking about - albeit a quad. Haven't had the others but typically, older Barts are lower output. Barts can very considerably in sound but the difference between old and new in my experience is no different than between different Bart models of the same era.

They made two 94J models in my experience, one you can split all 4 coils and the one I had you couldn't - which is reflective of their quad designs as far as I know.

Bassplayer mag J pup shootout had a brief shpiele on one or both of those pups you mentioned and you can find isolated reviews by doing a google search for "Bartolini 9w4 pickup reviews"

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've gotten ahold of a set of 9W4J (turns out a homie two blocks away had some, so it must have been fate). Very nice. I don't think the high end is quite as sweet as the Nordy NJ4SE (at least through my Focus/HT112...it was sweeter through the Eden), but the lows and mids are to die for. I think the really give the ultimate tight/modern fingerstyle tone. I'll play with them some more and update.

Will

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've just picked up a single 9W4 neck pup to check out. Maybe it will go well with the MM4 Quad.

Have to read my own review but what I remember of the 94Js I had there was more top end than is typical of Barts. The MM4 has more top as well but it's still rounded and not as thin. So maybe the 9W4 will be a good combo.