Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bart Quad coil configurations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I'm getting pretty close to having my bass project ready to wire up, and I have the quad-coil XX-M55C set and the NTBT preamp ready to go. I don't expect to have any trouble wiring things up, and understand what's going on with all the wiring options they show, but trying to decide how many of those options are actually useful or significantly different is another thing. I think I'd like to set up my bass with a single three position switch for three basic tones, or possibly a three position switch for each pickup if that would really give me some nice options that I'd otherwise be missing. I don't want 7 switches on my bass to wind up only ever using only four of the 2,187 possible combinations!

What wiring configs are you guys using and how do you find yourselves actually using them most of the time?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    With the Quad Coils, as you say the options are numerous. You can do P/reverse P etc.
    Personally I prefer having series/parallel/single coil switching options available for each pickup ala Roscoe Beck 5. After using one of those basses, I really came to appreciate coil switching options more.

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Thanks David, I may go with two switches, but I'm still thinking one may be all I really need. Is it very common to use one of the pickups in one mode and the other in another mode at the same time, or would you more likely use something like neck soloed in series mode/bridge soloed in sc mode/both blended with same mode for both pickups?

Anyone else got experience messing around with these pickups? Some practical experience too maybe? As much as possible, I'm wanting to minimize without missing out.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Geshel has done some stuff with them I know.

When using a Roscoe Beck 5, I liked the sound with bridge in series and neck in parallel. I also liked the sound of the bridge soloed inseries.

5. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Exactly what I was wondering. I suppose puting in two switches instead of one will be the way to go!

6. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I'm getting M56K's put in my custom 6'er. I'm having them wired with two switches: 1- all coils full humbucking -> split outer duals, and 2- all coils full humbucking -> split inner duals.. All I really need.

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Those Bart quad coils have always seemed like a cool idea to me. If my bass was routed for soapbars, I'd probably have a set of them in it. :)

Personally, I would go for two 3-way switches -- one switch for each pickup.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I've got two basses with them. Both have a single switch that "cross-wires" the coils. So, normally the pickup "halves" are wired in series, then the pickups blended in parallel w/ the blend knob. With the switch flipped, the "outside" coils of each pickup are wired together in series, the "inside" coils are in series, then those to things are blended. So, the blend knob blends between "inside" and "outside". They're in series to keep the overall volume the same when split.

I like the subtle but distinct difference between inside/all/outside. All four coils is the thickest tone. "outside" is a lot like a J-bass setup, "inside" sounds more like a PJ. The difference is most noticeable when slapping on the fretted, but it's still pretty evident to me on the fretless. The outside config has a drier, more scooped sound; the inside config has a bit more high mids.

My next bass will have an all-parallel setup, with two three-way switches for each pickup: left/both/right. So that makes 9 different combinations plus the blend knob. They'll be wider pickups (MV shape) so the effect will be a little more pronounced.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Huh. I had never thought about the possibilities of wiring them like that.

Seems as if they're even more versatile than I realized.

10. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    My D. Huff bass is going to have 2 Bart quads in it. Two 3-way switches, so each pickup can be a reverse P/outside coils/all coils at any time, with both pickups blended in parallel.

I figured that even though I may not use all of the configurations all that often, at least I'll HAVE the option to do so. May as well get as much of the functionality out of them as I can, without having too much of a NASA control board on the bass.