Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bart Quad Coils

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'm looking for info on these, as I can't seem to find any. The bartolini site seems pretty out of date and doesn't say much about them, and searching the web brought nothing.

I'd like to know the wiring schematic for them (I'm told they have 6 terminals) and the ways to switch it for split coil / single coil / duel coil / quad coil.

Thanks

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It doesn't work this way.
    Picture 4 individual single coil pickups, 1 per string. Wired series.
    That's what you get.
    So basically there is no splitting option unless you want to have some mute strings.
    There are 8 pegs under the pickup, 2 per string/coil.
    They come factory-wired series but you can re-arrange them.
    I've wired mine (E//A)+(D//G) to match the neck P output (I only have a Quad bridge, it's a PJ bass).
    All in one, the Quad is the clearest sounding J I've ever experienced, with absolutely no hum or noise. Highs are a bit attenuated, as usual with Barts.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, this isn't necessarily true. Bart makes two different kinds of quad coils.

I've got quad coils in my US Curbow 8 string, and they are currently wired in a P/all/reverse P config. And, I certainly don't have any problems with mute string.

4. Jazz Ad

So maybe we're not talking about the same pickups.
    The ones I'm talking about are J sized pickups and sell (sold ?) under the reference Quad.
    I bought them in 1995.

5. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I should have clarified... they did make the J style one coil per string type, but that's not what I'm talking about at all.

I'm referring to the ones like bassmonkee has, and I want to know more or less how to do switching like he has set up in his.

6. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Anyone?

A diagram? Something?

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You know, I've got them in two basses, and I'd like to know too. I rewired the ones in my fretted, and didn't get exactly what I thought I would. But I just used the leads that were available in the cavity (4 per pickup: red, white, green, black), I didn't take out the pickups and rewire anything near them.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. I don't think they make the quad-coil Js anymore (9W4J). :(

9. Yeah, and didn't they also quit making the 4-string quadcoils (the non J's...in the catalog i can only find the 5-&6-string versions):confused:

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'm not sure - I have the catalogs going back to 2000 and none of them have 4-string quad-coil soapbars.

11. I thought they used to have those :meh: . Maybe i'm wrong

12. Jazz Ad

Yeah, they stopped.
    Best J style pickups I've ever tried.
    Hopefully I kept mine.

13. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The quad coil soapbars have 6 leads. Many of them come wired from the factory with 4 leads.

Looking at the back of the pickup, with the "b" (of Bartolini) side of the pickup to your right, there are 8 leads coming out of the pickup

1 2-3 4
    8 7-6 5

These are the taps.

1 green
    4 red
    5 white
    8 black

from the factory.

Their documentation says to get P wirings:

1 white
    23 blue
    4 green
    5 orange
    67 red
    8 black

All the wirings you want may not be possible with one switch.

Full width mode:
    tape blue & red off
    ground white/shield
    connect green & orange and tape back
    hot is black

P switch (DPTT on-off-on):

1 2 3
    6 5 4

1 wh/shield ground
    2 blue
    3-6 green/orange
    5 red
    4 black hot

This gives P (normal)/humbucker/P (reverse)

This from their documentation. If you want your own custom wiring, you'll have to sort out where all the coil taps are coming from and figure out how to do the switch.

14. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I've got to believe they still make the quad coils for the Pedulla Buzz bass (the 9W4J or some equivalent). But why stop selling them? Those were among the most unique pickups on the market and there always seemed to be a demand for them.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Thanks Matt! Woo that's gonna keep my brain thinking for a little while. I'd better get a decent soldering iron before I mutilate my basses with the clunker I've got now. . . :D

16. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Geshel,
    how did you get on with this?

I just found out my Elrick came with the xxP2 quad coils, I'm interested in wiring the neck pickup to be P / reverse P rather than the full series operation it's wired right now which is a bit boomy for my tastes.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I never really quite got all that straightened out in my head, so never took the bass apart to try anything out.

18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Matt, many thanks for this explanation. It's still baking my noodle a bit, is there any chance you could post the actual document?

I asked the Bartolini customer service black hole also, I'm not hopeful of a response.

thanks

19. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I essentially did post the document. It comes on a photocopied page, hand written and drawn.

If you are looking for something specific, like "how to do P wiring, south" or something, shoot me an email.

If you're looking to reduce the boom of a series-wired P2, probably your best bet is just to switch over to parallel wiring rather than P-bass.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have three basses with quadcoil soapbars and I love 'em.