Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bart Soaps - series/parallel/single/humbuck help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by C-5KO, Nov 12, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I tried a couple of searches, but couldn't find the exact info I require, a few pointers, and a diagram, but I'm looking for a bit more info.

I have a bass with Bart soaps in it.

I would like to split each pup as the bart website diagram shows

[​IMG]

I think this is an old diagram and the black and green are switched by accident... anyways:

IS it possible to have both these pups wired in this manner, and THEN put in a master series/parallel switch after, for the bridge pup, and the neck pup together?

This way I could have the options of:

a) neck - parallel HB/series HB/SC
    b) bridge - parallel HB/series HB/SC
    (like the bart diagram)

and then (with the addition of a master series/parallel)

c) all the above both pups parallel
    d) all the above both pups series

2 DPTT switches, plus 1 switch for series/parallel would be needed.

2. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    i would like to know the answer to the first part (a and b). for C and D, yes it can be done.

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    A, and B, should be possible. That's what the bart diagram says... So I'm guessing I would just add a simple switch and use the hot and grounds from both DPTT switches?

It makes sense to me, but that doesn't mean it's true in the world.

I'm wondering if any unforseen complications might occur? Phasing would be the my first consideration. Unbalanced output from the pups would be something minor. ie: I had the bridge pup in series HB, and the neck pup in SC. I'm guessing the series HB would have a bit more output. Any other ideas?

4. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    series do give more output as you said.

i would probably go for Vol/Vol configuration if i follow your route. control each pickups output alone. but Vol/Vol can be a bit hard to control while playing. check the other thread Vol/Vol vs Vol/Blend for thoughts on this matter

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Right.... Actually I really don't like Vol/Vol config. Hmm...

I'm guessing that blend would have to be bypassed when Series is engaged? I'll have to do a bit of checking up on this one, as I'm not certain about Blends and Series pups.

Let's see what DaveW says?

One drag about the whole project is that I have to get somebody to route a bit inside the control cavity to make space for the switches, and the regular guy I go to is swamp - swamped because I've been recommending him to every bass player I talk to!

6. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    why would u need to bypass ur blend when u run in series pup mode?

7. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Because in series any volume or blend tweaking will effect both pickups as both pickups will now flow through that control. All the rest of it will work, you can do anything with one pickups coils and treat the resulting + & - leads as you would a normal single coil or humbucker and blend/volume or switch them as you want.

I've tried before to figure out a way to keep a blend and have series parallel choices between 2 pickups but I couldn't get it. I don't think it's possible. So if anyone figures it out please post it :)

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, you can certainly have each pickup switchable as well as master series/parallel. The only problem, as mentioned, is that the wiring can get more complicated for when you're throwing a blend pot in there.

9. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes, I see.

So in this case, a Vol/Vol, is probably easier to do, as suggested by Mahrous?

If anybody has some free time to do a wiring diagram for me (dumbed down), feel free to do so.

I'm looking for both pickups set up like the bart diagram, then blend pot, then series/parallel master switch. Also, I either need a switch for active passive, or to have the master volume be push/pull active passive.

Or, no blend, and Vol/Vol configuration.

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Nah, same problem. Once you're in series the signal runs through both volumes.

I couldn't figure out how to keep a blend in series but it is not hard with a 4pdt switch to keep a blend (or vol/vol) in parallel and just go to both pups full on in series. You might not even need a 4pdt but I'd need to use a pencil to be sure.

EDIT: There's a million threads here on jbass series/parallel switching I've never read, a bit of searching may give you a few diagrams all worked out.