Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bart vs Fralin?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BPotyk, Aug 8, 2005.

1. I recently picked up a Skyline JoBo 5 with Bartolini 57 J1's and a J-Retro preamp. The original electronics and control plate also came with the bass. I'm wondering has anybody compared or used both the 57 J1's and the Lindy Fralin Jazz 5's? The growl and punch from the Bart's is pure heaven. From what I've read will the fralins be a little more smooth sounding?

Attached Files:

2. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    I don't know what the difference is, but I just got a DJ 5 and find the Aeros not quite to my taste. Any chance you would want to sell the Fralins? I'd love to try them out!

Edwin

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Barts will have a more muted high end than the Fralin's.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Could you say what you don't like about the sound, and maybe I can help? I've owned DJ5 and JO5.

5. Thanks David! I've never tried Fralins .just wondering if it's worth while to drop them in. I'm really enjoying the Bart's. I have noticed with the Bart's that I am sometimes cranking the highs.

6. I replaced my Fralins in my Skyline Joe Osborn 5 with the Bartolini 57J's and liked the low mids that it added to the sound that were kind of lacking with the Fralins. It's definitely more "modern" sounding now. I haven't had to crank the highs though, in fact it's still really bright. I will probably be removing the J-Retro pre and using my outboard Yamaha NE-1 EQ soon. I guess I prefer passive basses after all.

7. Hello Stretchcat,

Thanks for your info. I too really like the low/mid punch of the Bart's. The bass is very bright most of the time with the Retro I leave the highs and the bass in detents and play with the mids. I'll hit the highs if I need a little more sparkle.

8. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR

It sounds thin and weak in output to me. It's way quieter than my Bart equipped Dave King fretless 5 (passive, pickups are wired straight to a blend pot and then out, no volume control) and my Lane Poor/ Modulus Q6, which is quieter than most other basses I play. At first I attributed it to the maple board, but it seems to be fine acoustically. I am going to put in a Bart TBIBT I have lying around and see if that helps. The Bart pickups also sound intriguing. The sounds I am looking for are the range of Jazz style sounds from Family Man reggae to classic Jazz slap to back pickup Jaco style mids. I also find that there is a high mid presence that doesn't seem to be there acoustically.

Any ideas?

TIA
    Edwin

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    hmmm, surprising to say the least. I've always considered the Aero's to be high output, especially compared to Barts which are normally lower output.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Brian, nice to see a fellow San Antonio person posting here!! Great thread btw, I may be looking into a JO 5 lefty with a JRetro...I prefer Barts as well cause I just don't know anything about Fralins....

:)

11. Hello NJL,
    This J Osborne 5 is my first 5. I have a feeling now that my MIA J Dlx and G&L L2K won't be getting played as much. I'm thinking about a Retro Dlx and Aero's in my Fender, the G&L it just would be right to touch. I have found the JoBo a really easy neck to switch on.