1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bartender ripped me off

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, May 6, 2006.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    so i put a 3 dollar tip on my card at the bar and when i checked my account online it looks like that transaction was 5 bucks more....looks like he changed the 3 to an 8..

anybody had this happen? what did ya do? i don't really have any proof...i guess i can call and complain to the manager?????

:help:

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Nothing you can do. He may have just read it as an 8. That's life. Complaining won't do anything, he'll just deny it.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Take a piss on the bar. That's the only thing that's going to make you feel better. Sure, you're gonna get your ass kicked by the bouncers, but hey........

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you can call your credit card company and dispute the charge, but it may be more effort than its worth.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Go give the ###### a left jab, right cross, left hook, followed up with a right palm strike to the chin.

:D

6. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Being an eternal optimist, I'd hope it was just an honest mistake. Doesn't seem worth causing a lot of trouble over, unless you really want to piss someone off...

7. Before you get your knickers in a twist, give it a couple of days. Some places actually do some kind of reserve charge when you pay with credit card because they need to make sure it will go through before you walk out the door.

I heard about this happening for gas or something once and then it happened to me at a restaurant. I checked my account and both my bar and dinner charges were higher than what they should have been. A couple of days later, they changed to the correct values.

- Dave

8. This is true. If the chanrge stays, call the manager. My wife used to tend bar and through the years she knew a number of bartenders that would do this and assume that the patron was too drunk to remember. Those same employees were eventually canned for that offense. The first time it happens....your word against theirs. Then someone else calls, and another a few weeks later, and so on. Eventually the manager stops trusting the employee and they're done.

So, they may not get in trouble when you call, but DO report it and the bartender's name.

Mike

9. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

that reminds me of this joke:

Shot Glass
    A man walks up to the bartender and says, "Y'see that cup over there? I'll bet $100 that I can piss in it from here!" The bartender readily agrees, because the shot glass is way over on the other side of the bar. So the man unzips and whips it out, then pisses in a million different directions, coming nowhere even close to the shot glass. He pisses all over the bar, barman, stools, etc....Meanwhile the bartender's laughing so hard he can barely breathe, with all the piss dripping off his face and his bar

"Pay up," gasps the bartender, so the man walks over and grabs $400 from a third guy playing pool. The bartender asks, "Why did that guy give you the money?"

And the first guy says, "'Cause I bet him $400 I could piss all over your bar and you'd just laugh about it!"

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The one time I contested charges on my credit card it was very easy. I just told them and they took care of the rest. That was it.

bc

11. deftim69

deftim69

Jun 11, 2003
    About 2 years ago my buddy and I were at Fridays in San Diego. We had horrible service and he put zero on the tip line. A few days later he checked his account and his bill was $50 more. They had put a 5 in front of the zero. The credit card company told him to put a line through the zero next time.

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Has the transaction been finalized yet? One of the first times I used my debit card to pay for dinner at a restaurant, I was extremely paranoid and thought I was going to get ripped off. It didn't help matters when I checked my balance online the next day and saw the transaction was for a couple bucks over what I left. But, after it finalized a few days later, the correct amount was indeed debited from my account.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have seen more and more of this kind of thing with bar tenders lately.

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Exactly what I was getting at, but you beat me to it by a longshot.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'd like to think it was an honest mistake. Can you go back to the bar, and ask the bartender about it? It does seem like a lot of hassle over $5 though. Maybe the next time you are in there, they'll give you a free drink?

-Mike

16. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Your friend?

BANG!

He didn't check out. But YOU...

You checked out just fine.

17. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Oh how I love living in a country where it's not our custom to tip, and tax is always included in the price.

If a drink is $5 on the drinks menu, and you have a $5 note, it's yours.

In saying that, a really good bartender/water/waitress will get tips. And I always tip my taxi driver (but then, I'm always drunk & happy to get home :smug: )

I firmly believe someone should have to earn a tip. If I get poured a crappy cocktail by some dork in the wrong glass, he shouldn't EXPECT to get tipped. He should learn to do his job. If I get a drink made well, and good service, I'm more than happy to throw an extra couple of bucks on.

18. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    ... and that's why I'm the Champ!

-Nate

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Look at the bright side-
    It's only $5...a gallon of gas.

20. Thor