Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BARTOLINI 5.3A/P PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Luke Sheridan, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I have bartolini 5.3 A/P that i just installed to a PJ configuration. There is absolutely no output. I wired each pup to its own volume pot with the j connected to the A/P pot. Nothing. I cant find any specific wiring instructions anywhere on the web. Not even at Bartolini. It just seemes logical that each pup goes to its own pot. Very frustrated...

2. If you have an ohmeter, measure the resistance of each Pickup. One of the outer lugs of the volume control should go to ground. The signal wire from the pickup should go to the center wire lug on the volume pot. The other leg of the volume pot ties to the outer leg of the second volume pot then to the center lug on the tone pot. On the tone pot, ONLY ONE outer wire lug should connect to a cap that has its other lead grounded. DO NOT ground nor connect to the unused outer lug of the tone pot.

Make sure your ground from the pickup is soldered to the back of its volume pot. Make sure the back of the volume pot is connected to ground of the output jack as well as the tone pot case and the bridge.

I like to run my ground from the output jack to the neck pickups volume pot case. From there I run a separate ground wire to the following:

one to the bridge volume pot or pickup blend case.
    one to the tone pot case.
    One to the bridge
    one to the single point ground for the control cavity.

In my MIA Jazz, the pickup wire goes to a screw and wire lug below the bridge pickup. I just connected that ground to that lug and insured the ground from the lug ran to the bridge pickups volume control.

3. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Kicking myself still. Does anyone have diagrams for bartolini PJ wiring? Thinking maybe my pups are wired incorrectly, but again no diagrams anywhere!!!

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The inner wire is the 'hot', which will go to the volume pot lug.
    The outer braid is ground, which should be grounded to back of volume pot or wherever your ground is.
    One thing to be careful when soldering bart pickup wires, the inner and outer wires are separated by a plastic layer which can melt quite easily.

5. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    how bout going back to the pickups? The Ps have three poles, 2 of which I think shud be ground. Is there an order? How bout the J's. is there an order to the poles on them.
    You can see why I need diagrams. :)

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    could you take some photos? I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying

7. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    The actual wiring of the pickups. Not the pots. Sorry, no camera tnite

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, but can you please go back to what you were saying about the pickup wires.
    The vast majority of all Bart pickups have the wiring I described earlier - an outer ground braid and the inner hot wire.
    Is that what you have? If not, could you describe exactly what you have.

9. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    David. I rewired it according to LoveThatBass's suggestions. That didn't help. My last question was in regards to the wiring on the back of the pickups, (three poles) not the pots. Thought I made that clear. Thanks...

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Right, but the important thing with regarding to connecting your pickups to the volume pots are the wires leaving the pickups.
    Could you describe EXACTLY the wires leaving the pickups.

11. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    They're bartolini wires, gold core with mesh wrap, as you described.