1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bartolini 5 string jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fruitlabor, Oct 16, 2013.

1. fruitlabor

fruitlabor Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I have a set of 57j pickups in a MIM jazz deluxe 5 string. The "D" string drops out when bending the string and is much lower when thumping and playing harder. Any ideas why and what to do? Thanks.

2. chaosmic

chaosmic

Feb 6, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I had the same problem with 57J1 pickups regarding D string dropout on bends and lower output. I ended up replacing them with single coil Classic dark Bartolini's as I like the sound and response of Bartolini pickups.

With the singles I have no dropout on the D string and a perceived "quicker" response. For me, the increased hum is very slight and makes no difference in a band context. The other big plus is that Bart's are a great value.

3. fruitlabor

fruitlabor Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Thanks. I was beginning to think this was an isolated incident. I think I might do the same. Thanks agaiy.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    The problem is that they are split coil pickups and the two coils (to cancel hum) have a dead spot between them. When you bend D you shove the string right into the dead spot. One answer (as noted by Chaosmic) is to replace them with single coil pickups. Tone will be improved and hum will be louder.

I improved the tone in my MIM Jazz V with SCN pickups. They do not have the dead spot. They have terrific tone (though not the same as Barts). They are cheap and hum cancelling. And oh yeah. Fender discontinued them too so you probably can't find any except maybe on Ebay.