Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini 57J1 vs 57CBJD for 5-string Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Larzon, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Bartolini 57J1 - Split Coil (dual coil) Hum-cancelling J pups
    Bartolini 57CBJD - Split Coil (dual coil) Hum-cancelling J pups

Both fits 5-string Am Jazz Bass.

I wonder what the difference is between these two?
    Growl - bark - clarity - best for the B-string - ....etc.

Someone who knows?

2. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Come on! :help: :)

Upgrade J's for Fender Jazz 5-string (full size pups) !
    Someone who have any suggestions?
    Plenty of growl, bark, fart - maximum midrange :bassist:

What about Nordstrand NJ5F (single coil?) or NJFS (split coil)?

Or what....

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

apparently nobody knows. I don't. From a players perspective, the probability of someone having firsthand experience with more than one of those pups is a long shot. Extended range is not like 4 strings in that respect. Typical sources are the manufacturer/site, their distributors, player reviews, and posts to inquiries.

Looks like zip on the latter.

Carey I'm sure would be good for the Nords. He probably would even have some speculation on the Barts in terms of the differences from his pups.

4. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Luknfur, you're probably right.

Thanks (again)

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the 57J is there original bart design...sounding like a bart...dark and low middy.

The CBJD is their Classic Bass which is supposed to have more output and more high end as well as the low mid boost original Barts are known for.

Someone who's actually played these chime in and tell us...I'm interested in knowing or hearing a 1st hand experience.
    -Bazz-

6. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Next week the 57CBJD will be installed on my bass.

I'll let you know how they sound.

7. Hi All. I have a set of 57J1's in a Lakland JO5. I really dig em. Not an overly bright pickup but with a J-Retro they kill. A Jazz with fangs. I also play/have a 2002 MIA Fender Dlx Jazz fiver and these are two very different voices. I string my JO5 with DR Black Beauties and lovr the bite. I am not familiar with the other barts, but thumbs up for the 57J1's.

Bryan

8. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    Bartolini 57J1 - Split Coil (dual coil) Hum-cancelling J pups

I have these and I love them, they have a darker tone and sound really nice with distortion and eq,
    i think i might get a J-Retro for em one day but not anytime soon.

9. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Hello

I'm very happy with my newly installed Bartolini 57CBJD on my Fender Jazz 5-string. It’s a huge difference between them and the stock Fender pups, way more clarity, distinct, tight, growl, burp and bark. The B-string sounds a lot better too. If Fender stock pups are 2 out of 5, these Bartolini are 5 out of 5!
    I also have a mini-switch parallel/series installed. I really like the series mode, it sounds very fat, like something between J and P.

I highly recommend these pickups to improve your Jazz 5-string.