Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini 72MV5E in a Stingray

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Feb 1, 2004.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey Talkbassers!
    In the search for that wonderful bass tone I have in my head, I have been researching a new pup and preamp for my Stingray 5. The only problem with this is there is really no way of testing before I buy and since the preamp is about $130 and the pup is about $115 I thought I would ask for some input from the folks here. Here is the scenario:

The pup I'm looking at is the Bartolini 72MV5E. This has the same triple-coil design as the stock SR5 pup. It is the least bright of the two different 3-coil designs offered by Bartolini. The main issues I have with my stock pup is that it is really bright (tinny sounding), but lacks good high-end... in other words my G and D strings aren't very loud in comparison to the rest of the strings. I have worked with the pup height and action but nothing really solves the problem to my liking. I'm looking for a smooth tone with good high end but not so much tinny brightness. I've heard Stingrays are known for not having good volume balance across the strings, but I don't know if this is due to the pickup or not.

For a preamp I am thinking of the Aguilar OBP-3, mainly because I've heard so many good things about this preamp and I wouldn't have to route my bass to install it. (I would have to drill a hole in the pickguard for the mid-switch, but that's no problem.)

So what do you guys (and gals) think? Would this be a combination worth trying? Would the OBP-3 be compatible with the Bart's 3-coil design? Thanks in advance for any info!

--Justin

2. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i've never heard the bart pickup that you're talking about, but in my experience the barts that i've tried (all MM) sound very dull to me. i had one in my flea bass and there was no life whatsoever in it. i've never tried it in an actual stingray though so it might be different.

i think the aguilar preamps are great. i'm not positive that the bart/aguilar combo would work, i'm assuming it would, but i've also heard that bart pickups really need bart preamps to sound their best.