1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bartolini 8S Precision pickup. How different are they?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FunkHead, May 26, 2018.

1. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I love the Bart sound when it comes to Soapbars on 5 strings(Think Pedulla ET5). I would love "that" tone on a P-Bass.

But then I wouldn't want to completely lose the character of my P-Bass that sits so well in the mix.

So I ask the question: How different are the Bart 8s's?

I am off to Youtube to look for examples but would love to hear any comments:

2. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I loved Bart PJ's in Pedullas, early Warwick, and the random Spector I'd see with them installed.
    8s will be different than whatever was "custom wound" for the name luthiers, but not terribly so.
    Barts have always sat in the low output dark and growly ditch, so a given preamp will boost whatever you need.

The move towards soapbars in "cool guy +$ top of the line" basses like Tobias/Modulus/Warwick/etc early 90's was a response to that smiley face EQ was everywhere. You saw a lot of guys that used 18v BT preamps. 18v is useful when you want to dime your knobs.
    Big ol barky stuff like EMG DC's, MECs, and SD active soapbars ruled for a long time at what I think was a sacrifice in harmonic "breath" and tone.
    Even Marcus Miller was super scoopy and harsh.

Figure you'll get mids back, and you'll hear more character if you get away from soapbars for a bit.
    I found more "soul" going back to simple passive PJ or single coil J's.

My buddy has one of the first Thunderbass 5's, that boost switch was a lot like the slap contour of an SD preamp.

I'd go straight up NTMB with the 8s and call it good.

FunkHead likes this.
  3. lifer_

lifer_

Oct 19, 2011
    Bulgaria
    Great pickups in my opinion! The 8s serves me well for more than 10 years in my main player with PJ configuration. Wonderful in the mix both in studio and stage. I think is a lot more on the natural side and gives me a lot of versatility. I'm using it with 500k pot for more bright tone.
    Recently I bought a MIM P Standard and put a vintage Bart in it. I love the tone, not so deep sounding but it suits me well in the P without losing the classic vibe. I'm considering changing the pot again with 500k because it will be more appropriate for my band's music.

4. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks, Good info about the 550k Pots.

5. lifer_

lifer_

Oct 19, 2011
    Bulgaria
    Just to be precise, In the PJ configuration I’m using two 500k volume pots for each pickup without a passive tone pot. I have an active preamp there, but mainly I’m using it in passive mode. In my P bass I’m planing to use again 500k pot for volume but with push/pull 250k pot which will give me (I hope) the same aprouch but with a passive more classic tone when needed.

FunkHead likes this.
  6. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Think of Barts as capturing the "treble rolled off for you" ethic.
    Try filtering out the low lows and see if it gets you that Pedulla or old Tobias thing.
    A lot of old basses would use inductors, make it easy on yourself and copy the cap value from the Warwick CV and give it a try.

Warwwick CV.JPG

7. I love them on my PJ fretless but I feel they would totally change your PBass sound. It would become deeper, fatter but a lot less aggressive with the characteristic lack of high mids of those pickups. I say bad idea unless you play reggae with your PBass

8. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Adding the right preamp will fix any low output issues.
    I'd just want to be able to kick it out and make sure my passive tone was available most of the time.

9. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks for the insight. I play classic rock and my Ric cuts through better than the p-bass. But I love the bart sound. If it won’t work in a classic rock setting then I may look at something else.
    Edit: I still may try them just to see what they sound like. Sometimes strings can make a big difference too

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Best sounding P pickup I've ever heard, IMHO.

FunkHead likes this.
  11. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks, I think I’ll go for it and see for myself how they sound.

12. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017

mikewalker likes this.
  13. It is a great tone but not a PBass rock tone. For a classic PBass tone i suggest the Seymour SPB1

14. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    I’ve never had a Bartolini pickup I didn’t like the sound of.
    Fairly confident you can’t go wrong with any model p or j.

FunkHead likes this.
  15. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Me either, but there's always a power issue with Barts that will divide owners down btw those that will play Barts active 100% of the time and those in the minority that will roll passive.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    FunkHead likes this.