Bartolini 8S vs. all others

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jan 28, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, I've got a Washburn XS-2 that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. This is a 24-fret bass with a P-style pickup. Right now, it has a SD SPB-3 Quarter Pound pickup in it. I'm thinking of trying a Bartolini 8S. I'd like a deeper sound, with less harshness in the highs. I have an SPB-2 in my Precision, and I like it a lot, and a lot better than the SPB-3. Still, I'd like to try something different in the Washburn. I would describe the SPB-2 as having a very solid low end, with strong upper mids and somewhat muted highs. It also has a strong attack. How does that description compare to the 8S?

Also, are there other pickups I could try for the sound I'm describing? I'll use flats and/or tapewounds on this bass.
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've used the 8S in a couple of basses over the years, and I'd describe it as a nice, fat, warm low end, with a "harley-esque midrange" (thanks to JT for that description). It's got some guts, but doesn't overpower the nice tone. If that's what you're looking for, then I'd say go for it.
  3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    I have the Bart 8S in my MIM P and it really made that bass come to life. It's especially good with flatwounds. I probably didn't need to mention that to you, though.
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    gweimer-of all motorcycles, I consider Harleys the most musical ;) . Maybe I should try the 8S.
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000