Bartolini 90M56NR???? Wiring Issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jsorvik, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jsorvik

Mar 22, 2000
    I purchased some used Bartolini 6 stirng pickups and they do not seem to fit the split coil wiring diagram on the bartolini web site.

The model # in the back is:

90M56NR2DD or DP

On the back there is 3 posts with wiring (from left to right) White, RED, Green

The black wire and the ground wire are solderd together and directly to the copper plate on the back of the pickup.

I cannot seem to come up with a wiring configuraiton that produces ANY output. Any ideas of what this is?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

90 mm magnet length
    M5 shape (EMG 45)
    NR2DD ?? Never heard about it. I've seen K, C, CX, CB, DC, and all these with a -T or a -B at the end, but not NR2DD....

That's about as much as I can tell you from the code.
    Now you say, there are 3 wires on the back or 4 or 5?
    The black and the ground are soldered to the back of the p-up? Try unsoldering the black.
    My guess it's a double-coil or a quad-coil from the number of wires.

Contact Bartolini. It's your safest bet.
    Or wait some more for someone who has a bit of experince with Barts
  3. jsorvik

Mar 22, 2000
    O.K. here is the scoop. This is from an MTD 635 and is a proprietary design from bartolini that was made for MTD. It is an active pickup designed to run using 2 9V batteries in a +/- 9V configuration. . .

I am going to try and power the pickups seperately from the preamp and see what happens. Should be interesting. . .
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Now that's better :D
  5. jsorvik

Mar 22, 2000
    Yeah, I know. . . actually the idea to try wire the pickups with their own batteries was approved my Mike Tobias. We came up with that idea when trying to figure out a way to make the pickups work.
  6. jsorvik

Mar 22, 2000
    Well, wiring two batteries with a +/- 9V circuit to the pickups and then sending the Hot to the blend pots (as in any other setup) seems to work. It sounds O.K. but it is pretty wierd to have to use 3 batteries in a 9V bass.

I don't like this solution, but the seller won't refund my purchase price . . . so I guess I am stuck with a strange setup from yet another dishonest seller. . .